Thoughts and observations from the afternoon session, the first practice that was open to the public. It was a surprisingly small crowd, estimated at 1,400.
1. Another rough practice for the offense, which focused on the passing game. TE Dustin Keller dropped a pass from Mark Sanchez, WR Braylon Edwards dropped a ball from Sanchez that hit him in the belly and Sanchez was rejected by DE Vernon Gholston, who swatted a pass at the line.
2. Oh, wait, there was one nice play in the passing game, Sanchez hitting WR Brad Smith on a deep curl. Smith made a nice move and ran from the pursuit, taking it for a 50-yard touchdown -- a great individual effort by Smith. And some shoddy tackling in the secondary.
3. It took Laveranues Coles only one practice to change numbers, going from 85 to 19. Britt Davis used to be 19, but he was waived Sunday night.
4. To replace Davis, the Jets signed rookie WR Vic Hall (Virginia), an undrafted free agent cut by the Chicago Bears. He's No. 18, in case you're wondering.
5. WR David Clowney dropped a pass. Again. Did it in the morning as well.
6. Cool matchup: LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson vs. OLB Jason Taylor in a one-on-one pass-rushing drill. They've faced each other countless times over the years in the Jets-Miami Dolphins rivalry. On this particular showdown, Ferguson got the best of Taylor, neutralizing his rush.
7. Is Matt Slauson ahead in the left-guard competition? He worked with the starters for the second straight practice, ahead of rookie Vlad Ducasse.