EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Almost game time. A few pre-game thoughts:
1. With so much focus on the Jets' commitment to Ground & Pound, I wonder if offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will use that groundswell to his advantage and try to surprise the Patriots by emphasizing the passing game to set up the run. If the Jets do take that approach, I bet they do it out of run looks -- i.e. two-TE formations.
2. There hasn't been much chatter about special teams, but I think this is a huge advantage for the Jets -- assuming KR Joe McKnight (sprained toe) plays. The Patriots don't get much out of their return game and PK Steve Gostkowski has experienced some hiccups. I wouldn't be surprised if this game is decided by a huge play on special teams.
3. Looking forward to Darrelle Revis vs. Wes Welker. It doesn't get better than that.
4. I think the Jets will generate good heat on QB Tom Brady, who has some moving parts on his offensive line. If the Jets can do it with a four-man rush, it would allow them to drop seven in coverage -- and that would be key.
5. Curious to see if the Jets use their "big" packages more than in the previous meeting. They used light boxes in the last game and got burned by BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Maybe Rex Ryan learned a lesson.