Rapid Reaction: Grizzlies 105, Knicks 95

WHAT IT MEANS: You didn't think the Knicks were going 82-0, did you?

New York lost its first game of the season on Friday night in Memphis, falling to the Grizzlies, 105-95, in the second night of a tough back-to-back.

The Knicks opened the season with six straight wins but fell shy of win No. 7, thanks in part to a foul-filled third quarter in which Memphis took control of the game.

The Knicks were looking to tie their franchise-best start of 7-0, set in 1993-94.

Instead, Memphis improved to 7-1 and has won seven straight since losing its first game to the Clippers.

TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES: The Knicks trailed by just four entering the second half, but things fell apart almost as soon as they took the floor in the third quarter.

First, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler each picked up their fourth fouls within 30 seconds.

Anthony was whistled for a technical, which gave him four personals.

And the Knicks were then hit with two more technicals in the next 3:30 as they completely unraveled.

Second, Rasheed Wallace picked up his first technical of the year for demonstratively arguing a foul call. It's almost an upset that it took Wallace seven games to pick up a technical foul. The 38-year-old veteran set an NBA record with 41 technicals in 2000-01.

Then, Mike Woodson was whistled for a technical for arguing with officials. Clearly, New York felt that it was getting unfair treatment by the refs.

The Knicks seemed to get unhitched by the calls, getting outscored by Memphis, 31-18, in the third. Marc Gasol (24 points, seven rebounds) shot and made 10 free throws in the third.

COMEBACK FALLS SHORT: Down 21 with 1:23 to go in the third, the Knicks cut Memphis' lead to 10 with 5:14 to play, conjuring images of their Thursday night comeback from 12 down with seven minutes to go in San Antonio.

But Zach Randolph (20 points, 15 rebounds) had a put-back bucket to give Memphis a 10-point lead with four minutes to play, essentially putting the game away.

NOT A GREAT NIGHT FOR J.R.: J.R. Smith had been one of the biggest reasons the Knicks won their first six games, but he had a tough night on Thursday.

First, Smith and Grizzlies guard Jerryd Bayless got into a small skirmish midway through the second quarter. Smith hit Bayless with an elbow to the face while they were tangled up and Bayless retaliated with an attempted punch (don't know if he landed it).

Bayless and Smith received a double technical on the play and Bayless was hit with a personal foul.

Smith also got cut midway through the third on what looked like an inadvertent scratch. As far as basketball goes, Smith had nine points on 4-of-10 shooting and seven rebounds. The Knicks were outscored by eight while Smith was on the floor.

WALLACE TURNS BACK CLOCK: One positive for the Knicks? Wallace poured in 13 points on 6-of-10 shooting and had four rebounds and three blocks. Anthony led the Knicks with 20 points on 7-for-14 shooting but had five turnovers.

WHAT'S NEXT: The Knicks travel back to New York to take on Indiana on Sunday. The Pacers have struggled to adapt to life without Danny Granger.

Granger has been out with a knee injury and Indiana has started 4-6, but beat Dallas by 20 at home on Thursday.

The Indiana game is the Knicks' fifth in a stretch of seven games in 11 days.

You can follow Ian Begley on Twitter.