NEW YORK -- Forward Kenyon Martin said he plans to undergo surgery to repair a nagging ankle injury in the coming weeks.
Martin's ankle injury sidelined him for the final 35 games of the season.
Martin will be a free agent this summer. The 13-year veteran, a former No. 1 overall pick, said on Wednesday that he plans to play in the NBA next season.
He hopes to return to the New York Knicks.
It's unclear at this point if new Knicks president Phil Jackson will have interest in bringing back the 37-year-old Martin.
Martin, who gave the Knicks a big lift off the bench in the second half of the 2012-13 season, also talked Wednesday about the disappointment of missing the playoffs this season.
"We didn’t get off to the start we hoped and then injuries played a part, guys in and out of the lineup all year. That’s part of it. But us not playing well as a team, that’s what it all boils down to. We just didn’t get it done," Martin said.
Martin said it was unfair that coach Mike Woodson was left to take blame for what went wrong with the team.
"Woody, he had us prepared every game. It was just we didn’t go out and get it done," Martin said. "It wasn’t one day we didn’t have shootaround, didn’t watch film or game plan. All that went on still. It’s the same game plan, same scheme, same everything we had last year. We just didn’t get it done. Us, with the expectations we had, of course we feel like we underachieved as a bunch."
You can follow Ian Begley on Twitter.