<
>

Bay: Concussion issue in the past

Jason Bay

Left Field
New York Mets

Profile

Jason Bay, whose inaugural season with the Mets ended on July 25 when concussion-related headaches did not allow him to play the remainder of the year, indicated Tuesday he is feeling well and the issue appears behind him.

Bay said a persistent, low-grade headache finally vanished in late September and has not resurfaced, despite resuming strenuous workouts at his offseason home in Seattle. He noted he never had other concussion-related symptoms such as vertigo, dizziness and nausea in the first place. He is confident the issue is fully behind him because his current workouts are more rigorous than the baseball activities he will resume in January.

“About the last week of the season I didn’t have any more issues,” Bay said. “I’ve resumed full everything, and haven’t had one issue, or even a twinge of an issue. I feel it’s a non-issue. And no restrictions going forward.”

Bay semi-joked about last summer: “I got so used to having a headache, I didn’t know I had one."

As for his performance in the first season of a four-year, $66 million deal, Bay said he's entering 2011 looking for a bounceback.

“Last year, for all intents and purposes, for me was a lost year as far as production and injury,” he said. “And I’m trying to just go about doing everything I’ve always done the same, which I have been able to do and go into this year just kind of prove it was an aberration and you move forward. That’s my focus right now.”

Bay had been an intermediary in former Pittsburgh hitting coach/Seattle resident Don Long getting an interview for that role with the Mets, but the job went to Dave Hudgens.

“He was a good guy, a good hitting coach,” Bay said about Long. “And there are a lot of them. I’m looking forward to getting another perspective.”