FIRST PITCH: The Mets’ bats were hot in snowy Minnesota.
The Amazin’s matched a franchise record for runs produced in an interleague game and beat the Twins, 16-5, Friday night at Target Field.
Saturday’s news reports:
• John Buck, David Wright and Daniel Murphy drove in four runs apiece in Friday’s victory. Buck has homered in four straight games and has 19 RBIs for the season -- more than all of the Marlins combined. Jonathon Niese battled through the elements to pick up the win, although his streak of 22 straight starts having completed six innings ended. Read game recaps in the Times, Star-Ledger, Daily News, Post, Newsday and Record.
• Shaun Marcum is due to pitch two innings in a simulated game today in Port St. Lucie, Fla. Assuming he completes that workload satisfactorily, Marcum should advance to a five-inning game, then be a candidate for activation from the disabled list.
• Hicksville, Long Island’s Cam Maron drove in the tiebreaking run in the 12th as St. Lucie beat Bradenton, 6-5. Cory Vaughn had three hits, three runs scored and four RBIs in Binghamton’s 15-7 win against New Hampshire. Read the full minor league recap here.
• Brian Costa in the Journal enlisted the help of Pepperdine business and law students to determine when is the optimal time to negotiate a long-term extension with Harvey. The recommendation: after the 2014 season. For the record, the Mets have not even internally considered approaching Harvey now about a long-term deal, Costa noted. Harvey is not eligible for free agency until after the 2018 season.
• Alex Butler in Newsday profiles Noah Syndergaard, the right-hander the Mets received from Toronto in the R.A. Dickey trade. "He reminds me of Kerry Wood,'' St. Lucie pitching coach Phil Regan told Butler. "A lot like him, but a better body. He has that tall Texan style.''
BIRTHDAYS: Lefty reliever Ricardo Rincon, who finished his major league career with the Mets in 2008, turns 43.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
#Metswin @johnbuck44 does it again this time #waaaaayyyybaaaack for a #grandslam even tho it's cold, the bats were hot tonight!
— Justin Turner (@redturn2) April 13, 2013
YOU’RE UP: Do you think John Buck will be an All-Star this season at Citi Field?