There are three 0-5 pitchers in the big leagues.
The Mets have two of them.
Shaun Marcum joined Jeremy Hefner on the 0-5 club after getting tagged for the loss in the Mets' 4-3 loss Monday to Cincinnati. Marcum had a rough first inning and pitched well over his final five, but a sixth-inning home run made the difference.
Tuesday's news reports
• It has been a rough go at the plate for Ike Davis, but that extended to the field Monday as he interfered with a runner in the first inning. Davis was charged with an error for getting in Joey Votto's way as he rounded first base. Read more in The Record.
• The Mets signed reliever David Aardsma to a minor league deal. Aardsma didn't make the Yankees' roster out of spring training and opted out of his deal with Miami after not getting promoted within a month. He has 69 career saves.
• Hefner grew up in Moore, Okla., which was ravaged by a tornado on Monday. Hefner's friends and family were OK and the starter expressed his sympathy for those affected. Hefner still lives there in the offseason. Read more in the Post and Daily News.
• Jared Diamond in the Wall Street Journal writes about a possible demotion for Davis.
• Kevin Kernan in the New York Post looks at some of the issues facing the Mets and how their season might be slipping away.
• Davis and Yankees reliever David Robertson will co-host an all-star golf tournament on Bethpage Black in Farmingdale on July 17 to help Hurricane Sandy victims. Ken Griffey Jr., Al Leiter, Jeff Nelson, Bobby Bonilla, Aaron Boone and Ron Darling are scheduled to attend. Click here for more information.
• The Mets will host their sixth annual Military Appreciation Night on Sunday. The team has donated more than 3,800 tickets to the USO for the game.
• From the bloggers: Mets Police writes the Mets should hire someone from the Cubs' fans relations department. ... Mets Report writes the Mets need to develop consistency in their batting order. ... Rising Apple previews the 2013 MLB Draft
BIRTHDAYS: Former Atlanta manager Bobby Cox turns 72.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
Oklahoma is a special place with very special people.. Please keep them in your prayers.. twitter.com/jeremy_hefner5…
— Jeremy Hefner (@jeremy_hefner53) May 21, 2013
YOU'RE UP: Is there anything more the Mets can do about Ike Davis?