The Mets' present ace, Matt Harvey, will start Friday.
And throughout the day, the team will build for the future.
Harvey will lead the Mets against the Marlins on Friday night while the second day of the MLB draft gets under way. The Mets were rained out in Washington on Thursday, and there's a chance they could be rained out again on Friday.
Friday's news reports:
• The Mets used the 11th overall pick on 17-year-old high school first baseman Dominic Smith out of California. Smith grew up in the same area as former Mets first-rounder Darryl Strawberry, and amateur scouting director Tommy Tanous compared his swing to that of Rafael Palmeiro and Will Clark. Read more in the Star-Ledger, the Wall Street Journal, the Post and the Record.
• The Mets selected high school outfielder Andrew Church with their second-round pick (48th overall). Vice president of player development and amateur scouting Paul DePodesta said Church has the potential to be a "solid middle-of-the-rotation starter" in the future.
• Strawberry approved of the Mets' picks.
• Outfielder Lucas Duda was scheduled to sit Thursday with a tight quad. We'll see whether he needs Friday off as well. With Duda out, Justin Turner was going to start in left field for the first time in his career. Read more in the Star-Ledger, the Record, Newsday and the Post.
• Prospect Matt Den Dekker is ready to return to games. Den Dekker suffered a fractured right wrist on March 24 and had been scheduled to be the designated hitter in St. Lucie on Thursday night before rain postponed those plans.
• In the Daily News, John Harper details Mets PR director Jay Horowitz making a trip to talk to top pitching prospect Zack Wheeler. Wheeler is expected to be in Flushing within the next few weeks.
• The Mets are hitting .228, the second-lowest team batting average in baseball. They are only better than the Marlins in that category.
• From the bloggers .... Faith and Fear in Flushing is appreciating Byrd.
Birthdays: Former Mets first baseman and outfielder Roberto Petagine turns 42. Petagine played 62 games for the Mets in 1996-97.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
Dominic Smith is all smiles after going 11th overall to the @mets in the @mlbdraft: twitter.com/MLB/status/342…
— MLB (@MLB) June 7, 2013
YOU'RE UP: Were you pleased with the Mets' picks on Thursday night?