PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Dillon Gee allowed two runs, including a homer to Danny Muno, and five hits in 1 2/3 innings in Thursday’s intrasquad game, but pronounced the day a success.
New York Mets
Gee was unable to locate his slider or changeup for strikes -- missing down in the zone -- but nonetheless was pleased at how good he felt. One year ago, he was returning from surgery to repair a damaged artery in his pitching shoulder that had caused him to miss the second half of the 2012 season.
“I do feel better right now, at this point,” Gee said. “Compared to last year, I feel a lot better physically. And the ball I feel is coming out of my hand better. I just feel more in tune than I did at this point last year. I’m excited about the way I feel heading into this.”
Also in Thursday’s intrasquad game:
• Kirk Nieuwenhuis helped Gee out by throwing out Kevin Plawecki out at the plate attempting to score from second base.
• Muno, a middle infielder who played at Double-A Binghamton last season, went 2-for-3 with a homer, walk and stolen base.
• Jenrry Mejia opened his outing with two walks, but rallied by striking out Wilmer Flores and coaxing a double play from Andrew Brown. Mejia then struck out three while allowing a single to Matt Clark in his second inning of work.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka, the probable fifth starter, was hurt by a Flores throwing error on a rundown. Dice-K was charged with two runs (one earned) on one hit and one walk in two innings.
• Carlos Torres, being stretched out for a spot-starter/long-relief role, tossed two perfect innings. He struck out three.
• Noah Syndergaard struck out five and flashed a wicked curveball, but surrendered a run in his second inning of work on a curveball up in the zone that Wilfredo Tovar took to right field to plate Cory Vaughn. Syndergaard and Jeurys Familia (two scoreless innings) both sat at 96-97 mph with their fastballs. Familia also stuck out five.
• Brown homered against Joel Carreño.
• Terry Collins said he was impressed by left-hander Steven Matz, who tossed a scoreless inning with one strikeout. "Lights-out stuff," Collins said.
• Jose Valverde tossed a scoreless inning.
Nimmo, cf 4-0-1-0
Muno, 2b 3-2-2-1
Allen, 1b 4-2-2-0
Recker, dh 4-0-0-0
Campbell, 3b 4-0-1-0
Vaughn, rf 4-1-1-0
Lawley, lf 3-0-0-0
Reynolds, ph 1-0-0-0
Plawecki, c 2-0-1-0
Tovar, ss 3-0-2-1
Mejia (w) 2-1-0-0-2-4
den Dekker, cf 2-0-0-0
Sabol, rf 0-0-0-0
Nieuwenhuis, lf/cf 2-0-0-0
Flores, 2b 3-0-0-0
Brown, dh 3-1-1-1
Puello, rf/lf 3-0-0-0
Clark, 1b 3-1-2-0
Lutz, 3b 3-0-1-0
Centeno, c 2-0-0-1
Seratelli, ss 2-0-0-1
SB: den Dekker, Seratelli 2
Gee (l) 1.2-5-2-2-1-2