This streak, they wouldn't mind seeing go on.
Dillon Gee (3-1, 2.51), who starts for the Mets, hasn't allowed a run in his last 16 innings. The streak began with the final two innings Gee pitched on April 22 against the St. Louis Cardinals, continued with eight shutout innings on April 27 against the Marlins, and then with six shutout innings last Sunday in Colorado against the Rockies.
Kyle Kendrick (0-3, 3.58) starts for the Phillies.
The Mets will have another new player Saturday. They announced after Friday night's 3-2, 11-inning loss to the Phillies that infielder/outfielder Eric Campbell will join the team from Triple-A Las Vegas.
Saturday's news reports:
• The Mets didn't score a run in their final 23 innings this week in Miami. They broke that streak in the first inning Friday night, but scored only one run the rest of the way, while leaving 14 runners on base and going 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position. Read more on the game in the Post, Daily News, Times, Newsday, Star Ledger, Record and MLB.com.
• Why aren't the Mets hitting? Columnist John Harper of the Daily News went looking for answers.
• Wilmer Flores had two hits in the first game of his trial as the Mets shortstop, but failed both times he had a chance with runners on base. Read more on Flores in the Star Ledger, Wall St. Journal and MLB.com.
• Is anyone in the Mets organization hitting? The Post went to Double-A Binghamton and found Matt Clark, who came back from Japan and has a .323 average with seven home runs.
• The Matt Harvey progress reports don't mean very much yet, but in case you care, Harvey is hoping to move to throwing off a mound sometime around June 10. Read more in the Daily News, Record and MLB.com.
• From the bloggers ... Mack's Mets talks with Virgin Islands native Akeel Morris.
BIRTHDAYS: Pete Schourek, whose 11-year major-league career began with the Mets in 1991, turns 45 . . . Jim Hickman, whose 13-year career began with the 1962 Mets, turns 77 . . . Craig Brazell, who played in 24 games with the 2004 Mets, is 34.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
S/0 to @GenoSmith7 For throwing the first pitch at the Mets Vs Phillies Game. #Mets #NyJets pic.twitter.com/d8VxFpyXpl
— Willie Colon (@willcolon66) May 9, 2014
YOU'RE UP: The Mets have called up Wilmer Flores and Eric Campbell. Who would you like to see them add?