FIRST PITCH: The Mets face another tough task Tuesday at Busch Stadium.
Tuesday’s news reports:
• Jacob deGrom allowed six runs in 4 1/3 innings in his shortest career start and the Mets lost to the Cardinals, 6-2, Monday. Eric Young Jr. (hamstring) returned from the disabled list and threw out a runner at the plate from left field, but he also struck out to strand the bases loaded in the fourth. David Wright had only his third hit in his last 43 at-bats and afterward said there is no physical ailment hindering him.
• In his first appearance since landing on the DL with a left shoulder sprain, Noah Syndergaard allowed four runs in four innings as Las Vegas lost to Oklahoma City, 5-1. Wally Backman was ejected. St. Lucie remained a half-game out in its first-half division title race with two games remaining with a 6-2 win against Charlotte. Read the full minor-league recap here.
“I grew up with it and it’s one of those things for me, it’s a relaxing thing, helps you get unstrung,” Edgin told Puma. “I have attempted to stop, but it’s kind of hard to do it during the season when there’s guys around you doing it. I actually started when I was 16 years old, working in the summer, and it was just there and nothing to do other than work, so ‘Let’s try this.’”
• Read Wright’s thoughts on Gwynn’s passing in the Daily News.
• YouTube video purports to show a brawl at Citi Field during Saturday’s 50 Cent concert.
• Michael Salfino in the Journal ranks teams based on projected tickets sales compared with market size and won-loss record.
• Savannah will have 10 players in Tuesday’s South Atlantic League All-Star Game, which will be played in Hickory, N.C.: right-handers Kevin McGowan, Miller Diaz, Akeel Morris, Robert Coles, John Gant and Tim Peterson, left-hander Dario Alvarez, infielders Jeff McNeil, Gavin Cecchini and L.J. Mazzilli. Gnats manager Luis Rojas will lead the Southern Division team.
BIRTHDAYS: Shawn Abner, the first overall pick in the draft by the Mets in ’84, was born on this date in 1966.
TWEET OF THE DAY:
Anyone else miss the 50 Cent promos? #Mets
— DHAP24 (@DHAP24) June 17, 2014
YOU’RE UP: Should Jon Niese bat eighth for the Mets on Tuesday?