New York Yankees
Francisco Cervelli is anxiously awaiting results of an IMPACT exam taken Monday morning to determine if and when he can return to the field.
Cervelli, the Yankees' backup catcher, suffered a concussion in a home-plate collision on Sept. 8 in Baltimore. He said on Monday morning that he's been symptom free for three days and he prays "every day" that he can return this season.
Cervelli has had at least two concussions earlier in his career. In those cases, according to Cervelli, he experienced headaches for a few days afterward. He hinted that the symptoms have lasted longer in this instance.
Cervelli's IMPACT exam will compare current results with the catcher's baseline results, which were established before the regular season.
Cervelli said doctors will also compare the results to exams taken in 2009 to determine whether he is healthy enough to return to the field.
Joe Girardi acknowledged last week the very real possibility that Cervelli could be lost for the season.
"I think you have to prepare that he won't be [back] only because it's so unpredictable,'' Girardi said. "We've seen so many guys miss so much time with them, and they're still missing time. I heard (Twins' Justin) Morneau talking about when he dove for a ball at first base, the concussion symptoms came back. You just don't know what's going to happen.''
If Cervelli can't play, look for Austin Romine or Jesus Montero to get the call as Russell Martin's backup.
Romine suffered a concussion on a collision at the plate earlier this season.
"It's a scary thing," he said.