Boss, Beatty, Blackburn injured

The Giants may have won their first game but they did not escape without injury.

The biggest injury is to tight end Kevin Boss, who suffered a concussion and a neck injury and had to leave the field on a cart. The Giants will likely look to sign a tight end to the roster. With just Travis Beckum as the lone tight end and one who specializes in pass catching, the Giants were forced to use T William Beatty often at tight end.

Beatty was injured as well. He had his right foot in a walking boot after the game. Beatty underwent X-rays on his foot but he didn’t have much information after the game and said he will learn more on Monday morning.

“I’m not exactly sure,” he said when asked how he hurt his foot. “Late, I felt like my foot got stepped on. I still played on it. I really don’t know what happened.”

Special teams captain Chase Blackburn also left the game with a knee sprain and did not return. He suffered a MCL knee injury and missed a few weeks during camp.


Mathias Kiwanuka said during the spring that he was told he would be a defensive end this season. And there was Kiwanuka, in the starting lineup, at outside linebacker.

Kiwanuka was asked if he is a linebacker now.

“Depends on what the day is,” Kiwanuka said with a smile. “Today I was a linebacker.”

With Osi Umenyiora starting at right defensive end, Kiwanuka stood up as a linebacker and had a huge impact. He had two sacks and one forced fumble.

The Giants defensive players said Kiwanuka started at linebacker because Perry Fewell wanted to counter Carolina’s power running game with size.

It will be interesting to see what happens next week when the Giants face Peyton Manning and the Colts. Will Michael Boley be back at outside linebacker alongside Jonathan Goff and Keith Bulluck? And if so, who will start at right defensive end?

“Anything that can help this team to get a win,” Umenyiora said of the defensive end rotation. “As long as we’re winning games.”


In honor of the victims lost on 9-11, Justin Tuck emerged onto the field out of the tunnel wearing a New York Fire Department hat.