Thoughts and observations on Practice 1:
1. The running backs were at their butter-finger best. LaDainian Tomlinson fumbled in a 9-on-7 drill, Shonn Greene dropped a pass in 1-on-1s and rookie Joe McKnight also had a bad drop. Memo to the backs: Try Stickum.
2. Not an auspicious start for new/old WR Laveranues Coles, who dropped a well-thrown long ball by Mark Brunell. Advice to Coles: See above.
3. It wasn't the sharpest start for QB Mark Sanchez (4-for-11 in team drills), but he was moving nicely. The surgically repaired knee was no factor. He also dropped a snap in shotgun and was forced the "ground" the ball, which really annoyed him.
4. OLB/DE Jason Taylor worked with the second-team base defense, behind Bryan Thomas, and with the first-team nickel. This was his first real practice as a Jet. Remember, he didn't do anything in the spring, as he recovered from off-season surgery.
5. WR Braylon (The Beard) Edwards made two acrobatic grabs in 1-on-1s.
6. PK Nick Folk got off to a good start, going 7-for-8on FGs. Yips? Who said anything about the yips?
7. Second-year backup Matt Slauson worked with the first team at left guard, Alan Faneca's old spot. Rookie Vlad Ducasse was with the No. 2 group, but there will be a rotation.
8. The team was in full pads for the first practice, but Rex Ryan wasn't happy with the tempo. He called it "a little disappointing," adding, "I was expecting a little more sparks to fly." But there were no fans (closed to the public), so tha may have drained some of the energy from the atmosphere.