Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert
Green Bay agreed to terms Thursday night with free-agent offensive lineman Duke Preston, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Wisconsin State Journal and Green Bay Press-Gazette reported.
Preston started 11 games at center last season for Buffalo and could join the competition between Scott Wells and Jason Spitz at that position. But Packers coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this week Preston could provide depth at guard at well. Daryn Colledge is expected to play left guard, but the right guard position is less settled.
Here's what McCarthy said about Preston earlier this week:
"I was very impressed with Duke. Very bright. I like the way he presented himself. I found it to be a very positive visit. ... He's a big guy. It says 6-5. You watch him on film, then you meet him, and he's a big guy. He's young and I think he's got a lot of good football ahead of him."
Preston joins safety Anthony Smith as the two free agents the Packers have signed this offseason. They also matched an offer sheet for defensive back Jarrett Bush, who was a restricted free agent.
Continuing around the NFC North:
Minnesota must decide Friday whether to match the $1.4 million offer sheet that fullback Naufahu Tahi signed last week with Cincinnati, notes Judd Zulgad of the Star Tribune. Coach Brad Childress said earlier this week that the team was in no rush to announce a decision because of salary-cap implications. I'll have a comment on that stance later Friday based on the team's decision.
Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Tribune isn't a big fan of Denver quarterback Jay Cutler: "The central question to any discussion involving the Bears and the possibility of acquiring Cutler is not how much general manager Jerry Angelo would be willing to give up in a trade or how the offensive scheme would have to be tweaked to accommodate all of his considerable talents. It's this: You're going to entrust the Bears' offense to a guy who, at the first indication of 'adversity,' basically quits on his team?"
Quarterback Drew Stanton, a second-round draft pick in 2007, is an afterthought in Detroit's plans for 2009, writes David Birkett of the Oakland Press.