NEW ORLEANS -- Falcons owner Arthur Blank said he firmly believes the future of the Falcons is in Atlanta, and reports that he had been contacted by Los Angeles officials are inaccurate.
“We’re committed to Atlanta, the city, the region and the state," Blank said Friday while visiting the Super Bowl media center. “We’re making progress on our deal working with the [Georgia World] Congress Center, the mayor’s office, the governor’s office, the community and doing all the things we need to do to get the deal done with the city of Atlanta."
The Falcons have been working for several years to get a new stadium in downtown Atlanta. As often happens when a city is having stadium issues, rumors started circulating about Los Angeles. But Blank said they were nothing more than rumors.
“I was never approached," Blank said. “My team was never approached. If someone in Atlanta, outside of the Atlanta Falcons was ever approached, I have no idea."
Although no deal is imminent, Blank said he remains very optimistic.
“I think we’re in a good place," Blank said. “Obviously, it’s a very complicated deal and a big investment. You’re talking about not only an NFL franchise, but all the legacy events -- the opportunity to produce a facility that would compete for the Super Bowl, compete for the BCS Championship, compete for the World Cup and create a change that would be very important for Atlanta. We want to create a solution that works for everybody, and I think we’re in the process of doing that. It takes patience and time to come up with a solution that works for all the parties."