<
>

GM Mickey Loomis: Saints will let 'serious' Junior Galette matter run its course

MOBILE, Ala. – The New Orleans Saints remain in a holding pattern while the legal process and NFL investigative process continue regarding outside linebacker Junior Galette, who was arrested on Jan. 5 and booked on a misdemeanor charge of simple battery, including domestic violence.

General manager Mickey Loomis, however, stressed again Wednesday that it’s a matter the Saints are taking very seriously.

“I’m concerned about it, obviously. We should all be concerned about it. That’s a serious matter,” said Loomis, who said he has not spoken personally to Galette – though he noted two weeks ago that the team’s security director had been in contact.

“We’re going to wait until the legal system runs its course, and the league obviously will do their investigation,” said Loomis, who said he did not know if the league had begun its independent investigation – which is now a part of the NFL’s revamped personal conduct policy.

As Loomis said previously, there is no urgency for the Saints to consider placing Galette under any kind of paid leave or on an exempt list – which are also both options under the new conduct policy – because the Saints don’t begin football activities until late April.

Galette’s contract does call for a guaranteed roster bonus of $12.5 million to be paid in March. It’s unclear how that could be affected by any legal issues or league punishments.

Loomis, however, said he didn’t want to “speculate” on how the team’s view of Galette could be affected by the outcome of the case.

“There’s so many variables in that,” Loomis said. “Obviously it’s a serious matter that we’re taking seriously. We’ve got to let this run its course first.”