Teams haven't fared well in their home openers so far this season. Of the 28 home openers that have been played so far, the home team has won only 11 of them.
2 Shootout Losses
2 Yet to be played (Ducks, Sharks)
Canucks 3, Flames 2 (VAN wins SO, 2-1)
* Zack Kassian scores game-deciding goal in shootout; Kassian also scored in regulation
* All 4 goals scored in 2nd period
Coyotes 5, Blue Jackets 1
* Steve Sullivan (PHX): 8th career hat trick
* Coyotes: scored 5 unanswered
Rangers 4, Bruins 3 (OT)
* Marian Gaborik (NYR): 14th career hat trick, including GW goal 27 seconds into overtime
* Other NYR goal: Taylor Pyatt (2nd of season)
* Nathan Horton (BOS): game-tying goal (1) with 4:23 left in 3rd period
* Rangers: 8-2-0 in last 10 home games vs Bruins
FROM ELIAS: Marian Gaborik's third goal of the game earned the Rangers a 4-3 overtime victory against the Bruins on Wednesday. Gaborik is the third player in Rangers history to record a hat trick that included an overtime goal. The other Rangers to do that were Cecil Dillon (Dec. 12, 1936 at Toronto) and Tomas Sandstrom (Dec. 31, 1986 vs. the Islanders).
Maple Leafs 5, Penguins 2
* Maple Leafs: both wins so far this season on road (at MTL & at PIT)
* James van Riemsdyk (TOR): 2 goals (2), assist
* Nikolai Kulemin (TOR): 3 assists
* Sidney Crosby (PIT): Goal (1), assist
* Penguins: 1-3-1 all-time when playing Maple Leafs in home opener
FROM ELIAS: Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin each scored a goal for the Penguins but Pittsburgh lost to Toronto, 5-2. Entering play on Wednesday the Penguins had won the last 19 regular-season games in which Crosby and Malkin both scored goals.