The Bruins engineered a comeback for the ages Monday night as they knocked off the Maple Leafs in OT to win Game 7 of their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series. Patrice Bergeron scored in the closing minute of regulation to tie it, then won it in the extra session. FROM ELIAS: The Bruins became the first team in NHL history to win the seventh game of a playoff series after trailing by three goals in the third period.
The Rangers will be the Bruins’ next opponent in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. The Blueshirts routed the Capitals 5-0, winning a Game 7 on the road for the first time in their history. FROM ELIAS: New York’s Henrik Lundqvist became the fourth goaltender ever to post shutouts in Games 6 and 7 of a playoff series.
Bruins 5, Maple Leafs 4 (OT) (Bruins win series 4-3)
* Bruins: first team in NHL history to win a Game 7 after trailing by 3 goals in the third period. (ELIAS)
* Bruins: play Rangers in Eastern Conference Semifinals (it’ll be their first playoff meeting since 1973 Quarterfinals won by Rangers)
* Patrice Bergeron: 2nd career postseason overtime goal (other was in 2003-04 season)
* Bergeron: also scored game-tying goal with 51 seconds left (had one multi-goal game all season -- other was March 14 against Panthers)
* Bruins: scored 2 goals with extra attacker to tie; were only team to do so in regular season, scoring 2 against the Rangers on February 12.
* 3rd time these teams met in a Game 7 -- Bruins won in 1941 and 2013; Maple Leafs won in 1959
* Bruins: 13-11 all-time in Game 7s, won 3 during 2011 Stanley Cup run
* James Reimer (TOR): had allowed 5 or more goals in game only once in regular season
* Bruins: 4th overtime win in a Game 7, tied with Red Wings for most all-time
Won Game 7 in Stanley Cup Playoffs
After Overcoming 3-Goal Deficit
2013 Bruins<< Maple Leafs
2010 Flyers Bruins
1991 Oilers<< Flames
1988 Capitals<< Flyers
>>Won in OT
Last time a team won a postseason game when trailing by three or more goals with 11 or fewer minutes left in the third period:
April 18, 2001 LA 4 vs DET 3 (OT) - LA trailed 3-0 until scoring their first goal at 13:53 of the third.
Last time a team won a postseason game when trailing by two or more goals with 2 or fewer minutes left in the third period:
April 18, 1993 QUE 3 vs MTL 2 (OT) - QUE trailed 2-0 until scoring their first goal at 18:31 of the third.
FROM ELIAS: Patrice Bergeron is the 1st player in NHL Game 7 playoff history to score the game-tying goal with less than a minute left in the third period AND score the winning goal in either regulation or overtime. Bergeron is the third player in NHL history to score a Game 7 overtime goal after recording the final goal of regulation time in that game. The other players to do that were Boston’s Brad Park against Buffalo in 1983 and Buffalo’s Derek Plante versus Ottawa in 1997, though Park’s final regulation goal came in the middle of the second period and Plante’s was scored early in the third period.
FROM ELIAS: Patrice Bergeron went 9 years and 34 days between playoff overtime goals. The last player to go as long between playoff OT goals was Teemu Selanne who went 14 years and 23 days between (April 27, 1993 to May 20, 2007).
FROM ELIAS: Defenseman Cody Franson scored two goals for the Maple Leafs in their Game Seven loss to the Bruins. Franson is only the third defenseman in NHL history to score two goals in the seventh game of a playoff series. The other D-men to do that were the Bruins’ Brad Park in 1983 against Buffalo (Park’s second goal was scored in overtime) and the Red Wings’ Nicklas Lidstrom in 2010 at Phoenix.
Rangers 5, Capitals 0 (Rangers win series 4-3)
* 1st game in series won by road team
* Rangers: 1st Game 7 road win in franchise history (now 1-5 in such games)
* Rangers: 6-5 all-time in Game 7 (defeat Capitals in Game 7 for 2nd consecutive season)
* Rangers: tie largest margin of victory by a ROAD team in Game 7
* Henrik Lundqvist (NYR): 4th goalie in NHL history to post shutout in Game 6 and 7 of playoff series
* Rangers: play Bruins in Conference Semifinals (Rangers won 2 of 3 regular-season meetings)
* Capitals: fall to 3-9 all-time in Game 7
* Alex Ovechkin (WSH): 1G, 1A in series (0 points in last 5 games)
Shutouts in Game 6 and 7 of Postseason Series
2013 Henrik Lundqvist NYR Conf Quarterfinals WSH
2002 Dominik Hasek DET Conf Finals COL
1998 Curtis Joseph EDM Conf Quarterfinals COL
1950 Harry Lumley DET Semifinals TOR
Greatest Margin of Victory
Road Team in game 7 All-Time
2013 Rangers Capitals 5-0
2010 Red Wings Coyotes 6-1
1968 North Stars Kings 9-4
Same Two Playoff Opponents
7-Game Series in Consecutive Years – NHL History
2012-13 Rangers-Capitals Rangers won both
2001-02 Avalanche-Kings Avalanche won both
1999-00 Avalanche-Stars Stars won both
1964-65 Blackhawks-Red Wings Split
1954-55 Red Wings-Canadiens Red Wings won both
>>Source: Elias Sports Bureau