Oilers 5, Devils 4 (EDM wins SO, 2-0)
* Oilers: Overcame 3-goal deficit in 3rd period; the last time they overcame at least a 3-goal deficit in the 3rd period was January 25, 1990 against the Kings - ACCORDING TO ELIAS
* Devils: Lost shootouts in back-to-back games (2-9 in shootouts since start of last season)
* Jaromir Jagr (NJ): 1st goal this season, 682nd career goal; scored his first career NHL goal vs Devils
FROM ELIAS: Jaromir Jagr tallied his first goal for the Devils when he opened the scoring in New Jersey’s shootout loss in Edmonton. The 41-year-old Jagr, who signed with the Devils as a free agent during the offseason, has scored regular-season goals for four different NHL teams since he turned 40 years old (Flyers 6, Stars 14, Bruins 2, Devils 1), tying the NHL “record” set by Tim Horton, who’s more widely known now for founding the chain of donut stores that bears his name than being a Hall-of-Fame defenseman. Horton, who was killed in a car crash driving home from a game in February 1974, scored goals for the Maple Leafs, Rangers, Penguins and Sabres after his 40th birthday.
Jagr has scored for as many NHL teams in less than 20 months since he turned 40 as he did in the 18 seasons he played in the league up to his 40th birthday (Penguins, Capitals, Rangers, Flyers). Jagr’s first goal for New Jersey came on the 23rd anniversary of his first NHL goal, which he scored in his second game, for the Penguins against the Devils in Pittsburgh on Oct. 7, 1990.
Rangers 3, Kings 1
* Brad Richards (NYR): 2 Goals (2) ... 24th career multi-goal games, had 1 such game in 46 games last season
* Rangers: 1st win this season
* Kings: dropped 2 straight after winning season opener
* 1st meeting between teams since Oct. 7, 2011