Notre Dame offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Mike Denbrock will miss the first few weeks of fall camp as he recovers from a recent surgery, the school announced Sunday.
Head coach Brian Kelly will assume offensive coordinator duties in Denbrock's absence.
“Coach Denbrock had a recent surgical procedure that will force him to miss the first few weeks of preseason camp,” Kelly said in a release. “Mike is doing extremely well and everyone associated with the program looks forward to his return.”
Denbrock enters Year 5 on the Irish staff under Kelly, and his first as offensive coordinator. The 50-year-old assistant coached Notre Dame's tight ends from 2010-11 before becoming the Irish's outside receivers coach and passing game coordinator from 2012-13.
Denbrock was promoted to offensive coordinator after Chuck Martin left to become head coach at Miami (Ohio).
“I had surgery last week,” Denbrock said in a release. “I’m resting and feeling better every day, but I won’t be able to join the team for the beginning of preseason camp. Safe to say, I’m already chomping at the bit to get back with the guys.”
Notre Dame opens fall camp Monday at Culver Military Academy in Culver, Indiana, before returning to campus Saturday.