As the NFL season kicks off tonight, it's time for our Business of the NFL Numbers edition.
• According to the latest ESPN Sports Poll, 181.3 million Americans consider themselves NFL fans. The average age of an NFL fan is 43 years old and 45.3 percent of fans are women.
• Among NFL fans, Peyton Manning is the most popular player. Manning is followed by Tom Brady, Tim Tebow, Aaron Rodgers and Michael Vick. Rounding out the top 10 is Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger.
• NFLShop.com says the best-selling NFL jersey from April through August was Peyton Manning, followed by Robert Griffin III, Tim Tebow, Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers. Tebow would have been No. 2 had his jerseys been more readily available.
• Fanatics, which runs NFLShop.com and sells more jerseys online than any retailer nationwide, says that 74 percent of NFL fans are displaced. They figured this out by taking into account the number of fans who had a team's gear shipped to them outside their local market. That's compared to 69 percent of NBA fans, 67 percent of NCAA fans, 63 percent of MLB fans and 54 percent of NHL fans.
• The teams with the most displaced fans, according to Fanatics, are: Rams (89 percent), Steelers (88 percent), Redskins (86 percent), Jets (85 percent), Patriots (85 percent) and Packers (82 percent)
• The ESPN Sports Poll reveals that the Cowboys are indeed America's team, followed by the Steelers, Packers, Patriots and Giants. The 49ers, Bears, Eagles, Colts and Saints make up the rest of the top 10.
• The 2012 Super Bowl was the most social TV sports event ever, with 12.2 million comments, according to BlueFin Labs, a social media tracking company. It is topped only by the 2012 Grammys Awards, which had 13 million social media comments.