Pullen, Beasley lead No. 20 Kansas State to 82-61 win over Oklahoma State

MANHATTAN, Kan. -- Going over the scouting report of
Oklahoma State in the locker room before its game Saturday, Kansas
State had a surprise visitor: senior guard Clent Stewart.

Wearing a pressed black suit, Stewart had just arrived in
Manhattan after attending his mother's funeral in Norman, Okla.
Smiles filled the room as the players greeted him with hugs and
high-fives. Then freshman Michael Beasley chimed in: "All right
Clent. Sit down. We've got a scouting report to go over."

If there was any doubt how the Wildcats would respond to the
emotions of seeing a teammate in pain, Beasley ended it.

He had 23 points and 13 rebounds for his school-record 19th
double-double, helping No. 20 Kansas State beat Oklahoma State for
the first time in five years with an 82-61 victory -- less than 24
hours after attending a service for their teammate's mother.

"It was really special to know what he's going through with his
family, his mom and all that," Beasley said. "For him to be with
us was real special. That just shows how strong Stew is."

Vanessa Stewart died on Tuesday after a long fight with bone
cancer. The entire team flew to Norman on Friday night for a
service and to support their grieving teammate, then headed back
later that night.

After all the tears from the night before, it would have been
easy for the Wildcats (17-5, 7-1 Big 12) to come out flat, let the
emotions of the past week take toll in the form of a lackluster

It never happened. If anything, it sparked them to play harder.

With Stewart cheering on from the bench, Kansas State jumped to
an early 16-point lead and never let the Cowboys get all the way
back in it, beating Oklahoma State for the first time since Feb. 2,
2002, in Manhattan.

Jacob Pullen hit four 3-pointers in the first six minutes and
Beasley had his way inside against the Cowboys, helping the
Wildcats to their 11th straight home win.

Beasley broke Larry Comley's school record for double-doubles,
set in 1960-61, and needs three more to tie the NCAA freshman
record, set by Syracuse's Carmelo Anthony in 2002-03.

Pullen finished 5-of-7 on 3-pointers and had 17 points, and Bill
Walker added 14 for the Wildcats, off to their best start since

"It's been real neat," Kansas State coach Frank Martin. "It
was an experience that was real hard at first, but one that
continues to make that group of guys in that locker room tighter."

Oklahoma State simply couldn't get shots off. The Cowboys
(11-12, 2-7) committed 24 turnovers, took 34 fewer shots and were
outrebounded 51-29, including 29-5 on the offensive glass.

Oklahoma State has lost 19 straight road games -- 16 in the Big
12 -- and seems to be well on its way to a third straight losing Big
12 season. Terrel Harris had 16 points and James Anderson 14 for
the Cowboys, who haven't won a road game since beating Kansas State
63-61 in Manhattan on Feb. 4, 2006.

"They just whipped us," Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton said.
"They were tougher than we were tonight. We had to match their
physicality and we didn't do that."

Whether it was having Stewart back or hope that the five-game
losing streak to Oklahoma State would end, Bramlage Coliseum was
full of energy, the cheers and chants beginning well before the

It carried into the game, with the Wildcats swarming the Cowboys
up and down the court, forcing seven turnovers in the first six
minutes, including four straight possessions.

Pullen must have felt it, too, because he couldn't seem to miss,
hitting four 3-pointers in six minutes, including one with a man in
his face that put the Wildcats up 22-10.

"I was open," Pullen said nonchalantly. "They doubled down on
Mike, he kicked out to me and I was open for the shot."

That initial euphoria wore off, though, and Oklahoma State
clawed its way back by picking up the defensive intensity and
working for better shots on offense.

After struggling to get shots off -- 11 field-goal attempts in
the first 12 minutes -- the Cowboys cut the lead to four on
Anderson's third 3-pointer. Martavious Adams added a putback at the
buzzer, keeping Oklahoma State within 38-33 despite struggling most
of the first half.

But the Cowboys started the second half the same way they did
the first, failing to get a field goal in the first 3½ minutes to
fall behind 46-33. This time, Kansas State pulled away, never
giving Oklahoma State a chance to get back in it.

"I felt good at halftime. I felt like we were in a good
position to keep it close and win the game," Sutton said. "We
didn't play particularly well."