MADRID, Jan 22 - Former Valencia captain David
Albelda said he remained bemused at the Primera Liga club's
decision to exclude him from the first team squad.
Albelda, goalkeeper Santiago Canizares and winger Miguel
Angel Angulo were axed last month by coach Ronald Koeman and
told they would not play for Valencia again this season.
"I'm still waiting for an explanation, for someone to say
something," the Spain midfielder was quoted as saying in sports
daily AS on Tuesday.
"I can assure you that I've never had any argument or
incident with Koeman or the president (Juan Soler), but one day
I was playing and the next day I was out.
"It's a very difficult situation to be working apart from
the rest of the squad and to be marginalised more and more
without having any contact with your team mates. It couldn't be
Albelda, who has 50 caps for Spain, said he was sure the
decision to exclude him was made for non-sporting reasons and
confirmed he was taking legal action against the club.
"I've been judged for secondary matters not for sporting
ones.... I've gone to the courts because the club has said my
situation is normal.
"They don't want to change things because they know Euro
2008 is round the corner and they think I will leave without
asking for everything they owe me...." he added.
"I'm taking action against people who have tried to
humiliate me without reason or explanation."
The 30-year-old said he has had offers from clubs in the
English Premier League but was not prepared to move until he
sorted out his situation with Valencia.
"I'm thankful to Tottenham (Hotspur) and Chelsea for their
interest but I'm not going to talk until I've agreed my
departure from Valencia. I have to defend my rights."
Valencia are eighth after winning just one of nine league
matches since Koeman took charge at the start of November.
(Reporting by Simon Baskett; Editing by Ken Ferris)