<
>

Yankees still unsure if Pavano will start Saturday

TORONTO -- The New York Yankees are still deciding whether Carl Pavano will pitch for them this weekend.

The oft-injured righty is in the mix to start Saturday at Baltimore. Pavano has been in just two games for New York since 2005.

"There's still internal discussions about what we're going to do and I should have something for you before we go to Baltimore," manager Joe Girardi said Tuesday before the game against Toronto.

With Joba Chamberlain and Dan Giese on the disabled list, Pavano and Phil Hughes are the two leading candidates for Saturday.

"There's some other people that are possible," he said. "We have to wait and see how some things come out and then I'll give it to you on Thursday."

Victor Zambrano, who spent last year in the Toronto, Pittsburgh and Baltimore systems, signed earlier this season with the Yankees and could also be considered.

The 32-year-old Pavano signed a $39.95 million, four-year contract with the Yankees before the 2005 season but injuries to his shoulder, back, buttocks, elbow and ribs have limited him to only 19 appearances for New York. When healthy, his record is 5-6.

On the disabled list all season, Pavano started a minor league rehab assignment less than a month ago and has gone 1-1 with a 3.32 ERA in five starts with Class-A Charleston of the South Atlantic League and Double-A Trenton of the Eastern League.

In his last outing, he allowed one earned run and six hits in six innings Sunday at Reading, striking out six and walking one.