Today’s Trivia: Today is the anniversary of Nomar Garciaparra’s three HR, 10 RBI game against the Mariners in 1999. Including that game, there were eight three-HR games by AL shortstops between 1999 and 2003. However, there hasn’t been one since July 30, 2003. Can you name the last AL shortstop to hit three homers in a game? (hint: he did it for an AL Central team)
Quick Hits: We’re a little over a full week into May, so let’s take a look at some players who are off to a hot start this month:
* Nick Swisher leads the AL with five HR this month. He had just two in April.
* Andre Ethier is batting .516 this month, easily tops in the majors.
* Tyler Clippard has pitched just 5 2/3 innings this month, but has picked up three wins for the Nationals.
* In two starts this month, the second and third of his career, Jhoulys Chacin has yet to allow a run.
* Neftali Feliz is a perfect five for five in save situations in May, and has only allowed one hit in five innings of work.
* Yovani Gallardo has struck out 21 batters in 12 innings of work this month.
Lowest BA with RISP
Min. 25 PA
Today’s Leaderboard: Here’s a look at the players with the lowest batting average with runners in scoring position this season. It should come as no surprise that all of the teams represented have a losing record, including the White Sox who have two players on the list.
Key Matchups: Tommy Hanson hasn’t struggled with many hitters in his young career, but one guy he can’t seem to get out is Ryan Braun. In seven career at bats against Hanson, Braun has three hits, including two homers. Braun is the only player who has taken Hanson deep more than once.
Carlos Pena hasn’t faced Joel Pineiro since 2004, but back when Pineiro was in the AL the first time around he owned Pena. In 11 career at bats against Pineiro, Pena struck out six times and only recorded two hits.
Trivia Answer: Jose Valentin hit 3 HR for the White Sox. All three homers came off Royals’ starter Runelvys Hernandez.