• Buck Showalter improved to 3-1 in his first game as manager of a new team when the Baltimore Orioles beat the Los Angeles Angels 6-3. Jeremy Guthrie pitched well again, and has a 1.95 ERA in his last four starts.
How Baltimore Orioles starter Jeremy Guthrie beat the Los Angeles Angels and got Buck Showalter his first win as Orioles manager:
His best fastball of the year:
- Averaged 94.6 MPH (highest in a start since June 5, 2009)
- 65.2 pct of his pitches (60.2 pct this season entering Tuesday)
- Threw 70 pct strikes (3rd-most in a start this season; 61.4 pct entering Tuesday)
- Hitters went 3-for-20 (.150) against it (.264 this season entering Tuesday)
• In a National League East battle, the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Florida Marlins 6-1 behind Roy Halladay, who was making his first start in Miami since he threw a perfect game. Halladay threw seven strong innings, striking out nine, but the only hitter they needed was Halladay himself. He ripped a bases-loaded, two-out single in the fourth inning after Wilson Valdez was intentionally walked. The 2 RBI matched Halladay's career total entering the game (in 103 career PA).
Halladay hit a slider for his eighth hit of the season, but just his first on a non-fastball. In fact, the last time he got a hit against an offspeed pitch was on June 10, 2007, against the only slider he saw that season!
On the mound, the only run he allowed came when Dan Uggla hit a changeup for a home run, the second homer that Halladay has allowed off a changeup this season. He didn't allow ANY home runs off his changeup all of last season.
• And in other HR news, Mark Teixeira's 1st-inning homer was the 3,000th in the major leagues this season. Last year, the 3,000th home run was hit on July 26th.