Today’s Trivia: Robin Roberts won 20 games six times during his career with the Phillies. Since then, the Phillies have had just two pitchers (Steve Carlton and Chris Short) win 20 games, and none since 1982. Who was the last Phillies pitcher to win as many as 17 games in a season? [hint: he once won 20 games with another team, and he’s not a current ESPN employee]
Quick Hits: Today, let’s take a look at some players who have been more comfortable on the road than at home this season:
* All seven of Miguel Cabrera’s home runs have come on the road
* Colby Rasmus is batting .450 on the road and just .175 at home
* Alberto Callaspo ranks 2nd in the AL with 14 road RBI, but has just 3 at home
* Yovani Gallardo is 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA on the road, but just 1-2 with a 4.50 ERA at home
* Trevor Hoffman has converted just two of six save opportunities at home, but is a perfect 2-2 on the road
* Carl Pavano has a 2.05 ERA in three starts on the road, but has a 7.71 ERA in two starts in Target Field
* And now for the most bizarre one of all... the Rockies’ Ian Stewart is slugging .810 on the road, but just .250 in Coors Field
Lowest Opp OBP After Falling Behind 1-0
Min. 50 Batters Faced
Today’s Leaderboard: John Danks, who starts today against the Blue Jays, is off to an impressive start. One of the keys to his success has been his ability to fight back after falling behind in the count. Danks has allowed opponents to reach base just 24 percent of the time after falling behind 1-0.
Key Matchups: Ricky Nolasco has posted a career 1.13 ERA against the Giants, but he’s dominated one player in particular: Edgar Renteria. In his career against Nolasco, Renteria has yet to collect a hit in 14 at bats.
Scott Kazmir will face his least favorite hitter tonight, Dustin Pedroia. Among players Kazmir has faced at least 25 times, no one has a higher batting average than Pedroia’s .474 mark.
Trivia Answer: Jon Lieber went 17-13 with the 2005 Phillies. Prior to Lieber, the last 17-game winners were Curt Schilling (1997) and Shane Rawley (1987).