The Knicks scored more points against the Spurs than any team had managed in a non-overtime game against them, in a 128-115 win.
There were all sorts of good statistical notes and nuggets from this game, many of them provided by our friends at the Elias Sports Bureau. Among them:
• The Spurs, who entered with a 29-4 record, are the fifth-best team, record-wise, that the Knicks have ever beaten. The last time the Knicks beat a team with that good a winning percentage this late into the season was in 1996-97, when they beat the Chicago Bulls, 97-93, on March 9, 1997. Those Bulls were 53-7 and would win 69 games. It was actually the second straight year a Knicks team beat a Bulls team that good. They beat the 54-6 Bulls (a team that would finish 72-10), 104-72, on March 10, 1996.
• Amar’e Stoudemire scored 28 points. He’s scored 25 points or more in five straight games against the Spurs. That matches the longest current 25-point streak against San Antonio, also done by LeBron James. Elias also notes that the only active player to have had a longer streak is Shaquille O’Neal (six games).
Best Win Pct, Lost vs Knicks
Minimum 30 Games Played
• The Knicks entered the game shooting 48 percent with now-injured Danilo Gallinari on the court, 43 percent with him off the court. In this game, they shot 54.9 percent from the field, and were 42-for-64 (65.6 percent) on their two-point shot attempts. Every Knicks starter shot 50 percent or better from the field.
• The last time the Spurs allowed this many points in a non-overtime game came in March 1993, when they gave up 132 to the Celtics in Boston.
How long ago was that?
That Spurs team featured David Robinson, Vinny Del Negro, Avery Johnson, and no Duncan, and was coached by John Lucas.
• The Spurs missed a chance to become the fifth team in the last 25 seasons to start a season with 30 wins in their first 34 games. The last to do so, according to Elias, was the 2007-08 Boston Celtics.
• The 62 points in the paint were the most by a team against the Spurs since the Sacramento Kings scored 62 against them in December 2009.
• Spurs guard Manu Ginobili was a minus-14, a team-worst for the game, and his worst for any game this season.