MIAMI -- Guard Mike Miller walked gingerly out of the Miami Heat locker room on Tuesday and spoke with the media for the first time since undergoing hernia surgery last week.
Amid speculation that the 12-year veteran might be released by the team using a proposed amnesty provision, Miller said he spoke with Heat president Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra earlier this week about his status with the team. And although he wouldn't definitively state the Heat's plans on whether to cut him, Miller was hopeful he would remain with the team.
"They're going to handle it the way they have to," Miller said, wearing a Heat warm-up shirt. "And right now, it seems like I'm pretty secure, but I'm just going to prepare myself to be ready to play where it is."
Technically, the Heat cannot use the amnesty clause to release the 31-year-old just yet because the new collective bargaining agreement has not officially been agreed upon. And it's unlikely the team has made the final decision on Miller before surveying the free agency landscape.