CT scan shows Pedroia 'healing'

BOSTON -- The crutches are gone.

"Already chucked them in the garbage,'' Dustin Pedroia said Friday.

But the protective boot he is wearing on his fractured left foot will need to remain on for probably two more weeks, manager Terry Francona said, putting to rest Pedroia's wildly optimistic view that he would be able to play on the team's 10-game West Coast trip that begins Monday.

Results of Pedroia's CT scan on Friday did show "a lot of healing,'' Francona said, "which was really good news.''

"I'm happy with the fact that it's healing," said Pedroia. "I didn't think it would take this long. I know they told me six weeks. I thought I could come back sooner than that, but I guess I have to be smart. If I come back too early and that bone break offs, I'm out for the rest of the year. Just gotta be smart and let it heal."

Wearing a colorful decorated cover adorned with skulls over his boot -- "A lady sent it to me,'' Pedroia said -- the second baseman played catch before batting practice with third-base coach Tim Bogar and also took some swings in the cage with staff assistant Ino Guerrero pitching.

Pedroia has been given the go-ahead, Francona said, to begin weight-bearing activity, which means he'll be able to hit and throw and, knowing Pedroia, find a way to take some ground balls.

"When he gets to where he's not point tender,'' Francona said, "he'll be able to get the boot off.''

The plan is for Pedroia to be examined again in 10 days to two weeks, Francona said.

Friday made it three weeks since Pedroia fractured the navicular bone in his left foot when he fouled a pitch off the foot in San Francisco. His progression appears to jibe with estimates that it will be approximately six weeks before he returns, though he could beat that by some days.

"We kind of worry that he will try to do too much,'' Francona said. "Doctors have to rely on him [for feedback], which kind of scares everybody.''

Gordon Edes covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter.