<
>

Clay Buchholz to go off mound Friday

BALTIMORE -- Boston Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since June 19 with a lower back strain, is scheduled to have his first throwing session off a mound Friday.

Buchholz has been throwing off flat ground, throwing from 120 feet on Monday, and plans to play catch from the same distance on Wednesday. If all goes well, he'll throw off a mound on Friday, manager Terry Francona said.

If the mound work goes well, the Red Sox likely would send Buchholz on a rehab assignment.

Buchholz, who is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA in 14 starts, said Tuesday his back feels better. He says arm strength is not an issue, but he needs to regain strength in his lower body.

Another injured Red Sox pitcher, reliever Bobby Jenks, had an injection of platelet-rich plasma in his ailing back on Tuesday, according to Francona.

Jenks was placed on the DL for the third time this season last week with back tightness.

Material from ESPNBoston.com reporter Gordon Edes and the Associated Press contributed to this report.