BOSTON -- Since the start of the season, David Ortiz has become increasingly concerned with the Boston Red Sox because of his contract situation, a source close to the player told ESPNdeportes.com Saturday.
"David is (too) proud and respectful to say how he feels in public, but the guy feels hurt, upset by the way that he is being ignored by the Red Sox," said the source.
"After all he's done here and having a good season, he was at least hoping to be approached by the team to talk about his future," added the source.
Ortiz, 35, entered Saturday's game versus the New York Yankees hitting .289 with 21 home runs and 71 RBIs in the last year of his contract with Boston. The Red Sox slugger is the only player in the majors with at least 50 extra-base hits in each of the past 10 years -- including nine with Boston, tying Carl Yastrzemski (1962-70) for the club record.
Ortiz himself hedged his feelings on whether he was upset Saturday.
"The truth is yes and no," Ortiz said before Saturday's game. "Yes, because I should be facing a better situation when I'm having a good year. And no because at some point something has to happen and those are things that I can't control."
He did say there's been no dialogue about a potential extension.
"The truth is that I have not talked to anyone about a contract. That is reality," Ortiz said.
He didn't offer a reason for the Red Sox's silence to this point.
"I don't know what to say exactly about that. It's a question that I get often, and I don't know what to say," Ortiz said. "Maybe they are focusing on something different. ... This sport is a business above all. People know what I can do. Right now I don't see myself in another uniform, but that's not up to me. It will be decided in free agency."
Enrique Rojas covers baseball for ESPNdeportes.com.