Mendez, Barthelemy to meet again

Junior lightweight titlist Argenis Mendez and mandatory challenger Rances Barthelemy will meet in a rematch of their controversial first fight, although the date and location is not set yet. However, as per terms of Tuesday's IBF purse bid, the fight must take place by mid-July.

Mike Tyson's promotional company Iron Mike Promotions, which represents Mendez, won the auction with an offer of $260,000. Warriors Boxing, Barthelemy's promoter, was the only other bidder, offering $251,000.

As the 130-pound world titleholder, Mendez (21-2-1, 11 KOs) is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($195,000) and Barthelemy (19-0, 12 KOs) will receive the remaining 25 percent ($65,000).

The bout is likely to wind up on Showtime and will be a rematch of their controversial fight on Jan. 3 at the Target Center in Minneapolis. Although Barthelemy dominated that fight and dropped Mendez late in the second round, he knocked Mendez out moments later with punches that came just after the bell rang to end the round, which was a foul. However, referee Pete Podgorski counted Mendez out and declared Barthelemy the winner despite having scored the knockout on an accidental foul.

Mendez protested the result to Minnesota regulators and the outcome of the fight was eventually changed to a no decision after the state's Office of Combative Sports reviewed a video of the fight and consulted with Podgorski.

Once the Minnesota authorities changed the result, the IBF, which sanctioned the title at stake, returned the belt to Mendez and ordered a rematch.