Junior featherweight titleholder Scott Quigg will be sidelined until next summer after undergoing surgery on his injured hand this week.
During his fifth title defense Nov. 22, Quigg (30-0-2, 22 KOs), 26, of England, suffered tendon tears in the middle and index knuckles on his right hand during a lopsided unanimous decision victory against Japan's Hidenori Otake in Liverpool.
Quigg had been scheduled to make his next defense March 28 in Manchester, England, but he will instead sit out until the summer while recovering from the injury and surgery.
"Obviously it's disappointing not to be able to fight on March 28," Quigg said. "But I've had a great run of five fights in 18 months, four of them being world title fights. The rest will probably do my body good and then I will be looking to come back with a huge fight in early summer."
Said Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn: "We are disappointed for Scott that he cannot fight in March but we wish him all the best in his recovery. When he is back to full fitness there are some huge unification bouts out there for him and I am sure that, despite this setback, 2015 will still be a huge year for Scott."