<
>

Beibut Shumenov-B.J. Flores title fight postponed

Former light heavyweight titleholder Beibut Shumenov and B.J. Flores were due to square off for a vacant interim belt on June 20 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, but the fight has been postponed because Shumenov suffered a shoulder injury while training.

Shumenov-Flores was scheduled to take place on the card headlined by the welterweight fight between former titleholders Shawn Porter and Adrien Broner, who will meet in a Premier Boxing Champions card on NBC.

Shumenov-Flores likely will be rescheduled for a PBC card on NBC Sports Net on July 25 at a location to be determined.

Flores was disappointed but said he will remain in training camp in Phoenix and be ready for the new date. He has been sparring with heavyweight contenders Steve Cunningham and Bryant Jennings for the past two weeks in preparation.

"I had over 40 rounds sparring with those two guys and another 25 rounds [with others] before that," Flores told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "I've been working crazy hard. I was more than ready for June 20. I was very ready. Steve and Jennings are great tools to get ready for big fights. They are both much better than Beibut. Great camp so far."

Shumenov (15-2, 10 KOs), 31, a native of Kazakhstan living in Las Vegas, got knocked down and lost his title by decision to Bernard Hopkins in April 2014. He bounced back with a fifth-round knockout win against West Virginia club fighter Bobby Thomas Jr. on Dec. 13 in Las Vegas.

The 36-year-old Flores (31-1-1, 20 KOs), known more for his role as an announcer on the NBC cards than for his boxing these days, did not fight in 2013. But he came back in 2014 to register three wins in a row, albeit against lesser opponents.

The Shumenov-Flores winner will become the mandatory challenger for full titleholder Denis Lebedev (27-2, 20 KOs) of Russia.