Light heavyweight contenders Isaac Chilemba and Eleider Alvarez will square off in a title elimination bout after their promoters announced they had made a deal on Thursday and avoided a purse bid.
Chilemba and Alvarez will meet on a date to be determined in November in either Montreal or Quebec City, Alvarez promoter Yvon Michel announced.
The winner of the bout will become the mandatory challenger for world champion Adonis Stevenson (27-1, 22 KOs), who is also represented by Michel.
"Alvarez and Chilemba are both at the elite level of the light heavyweight division, insuring a spectacularly intense fight that will determine the rest of their respective careers," Michel said.
Said Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, Chilemba's promoter, "Isaac and Main Events are very much looking forward to the fight and very happy to have come to an agreement with our friends at [Groupe Yvon Michel]."
The main event of the card is supposed to be a fight between super middleweight world titleholder James DeGale (21-1, 14 KOs), of England, and Montreal star and former titleholder Lucian Bute (32-2, 25 KOs), but the bout has not been agreed to yet -- and might not come off.
Chilemba (24-2-2, 10 KOs), 28, of Malawi and based in South Africa, has won four fights in a row since a decision loss to England's Tony Bellew in a 2013 rematch of their previous draw. Chilemba is coming off a one-sided unanimous 10-round decision against previously undefeated Vasily Lepikhin. Chilemba was due to fight on July 25 in Las Vegas on the Sergey Kovalev-Nadjib Mohammedi undercard, but his bout was canceled when the Nevada State Athletic Commission declined to approve his opponent.
Alvarez (18-0, 10 KOs), a former Colombian Olympian living in Montreal, is coming off a 12-round unanimous decision against Isidro Ranoni Prieto on Aug. 15.