<
>

Juan Manuel Marquez seeking two more fights before retirement

MEXICO -- Four-time world titlist Juan Manuel Marquez said Tuesday he would like to fight twice more, tentatively in May and September, to definitively say goodbye to boxing.

"That's what I'd like," said Marquez, 42. "Let's see if things work out so that it can happen. I'd like a fight in Mexico -- I don't know whether at the Azteca stadium, in the Mexico City Arena -- and probably one more in other city, but we'll see how things are going. For now, that's what I want."

Marquez received a challenge for a fight earlier this week from Miguel Cotto's team, and sources told ESPN that representatives for the two fighters will talk further in the coming days.

Marquez, who hasn't fought since May 2014 and has dealt with a knee injury, said he'd like to have a fight in Mexico in May, then would seek a fight against Cotto at welterweight.

"That's my wish -- to do two more fights," Marquez said. "Let's see if my body responds and things go in the right direction, I don't want to rush anything, but that is the idea. I have to say goodbye to boxing after 30 years of being an amateur and professional."

Marquez, who has won world championships at featherweight, super featherweight, lightweight and super lightweight, said one of his interests is to fight for the welterweight title to achieve his goal of becoming the first Mexican fighter to win five world titles in as many weight classes. If he can't make a fight at welterweight, he won't return to the ring, he said.

Marquez has said he no longer has a contract with Zanfer Promotions, so he would be ready to work with any promoter or even act as his own promoter.