When the Keith Thurman-Shawn Porter welterweight fight scheduled for March 12 was postponed on Monday after Thurman suffered whiplash in a car accident last week, organizers did what they could do to salvage the remainder of the card, but they were unable to and it was canceled on Wednesday.
Thurman-Porter was scheduled to air in primetime on CBS from the Mohegan Sun Casino Resort in Uncasville, Connecticut, but when the main event was postponed, the telecast was canceled. That left promoter Lou DiBella, Mohegan Sun senior vice president of sports and entertainment Tom Cantone and Showtime -- CBS' sister network, which was going to produce the telecast -- to try to move the remaining bouts to Showtime.
However, a Showtime scheduling conflict prevented the fights from being moved and the entire card was called off.
"People get injured and it's unfortunate, but we tried to make it work," DiBella told ESPN. "There were three other good fights on the show but what happened took everyone by surprise. Showtime made an effort, but they just couldn't work it out. I feel especially bad for the Mohegan Sun. It has one of the great arenas in the country, and it's very unusual for them to have a dark Saturday night, but this is circumstance beyond anyone's control."
DiBella said that the all-Mexican featherweight fight between former three-division titleholders Abner Mares (29-2-1, 15 KOs) and Fernando Montiel (54-5-2, 39 KOs), who are both coming off hard-fought decision losses in featherweight world title bouts, would be rescheduled to go with Thurman-Porter when that bout is rescheduled.
"With regard to those two other fights, we're working on rescheduling them right now," DiBella said.
The other two bouts he was referring to was featherweight world titleholder Gary Russell (26-1, 15 KOs) in his first defense against Ireland's Patrick Hyland (31-1, 15 KOs) and a light heavyweight fight between Worchester, Massachusetts contender Edwin Rodriguez (28-1, 19 KOs) and Thomas Williams (19-1, 13 KOs), of Fort Washington, Maryland.
DiBella said he is hoping that the Thurman-Porter will still take place at Mohegan Sun when it is rescheduled.
"They want to keep the fight 100 percent," DiBella said. "We are certainly going to try to see if dates can work and it can be done. They want the fight, and we will give them the first opportunity to host the fight. We just have to see when it can be rescheduled and if the dates work."
Thurman (26-0, 22 KOs) was supposed to make his third defense against Porter (26-1-1, 16 KOs), a former world titleholder. However, he was involved in a car accident last week, during which he was hit hard by the airbags that deployed. Lingering neck and shoulder stiffness and soreness stemming from the accident forced him to postpone the fight on the recommendation of his doctor.
Tickets purchased for the March 12 event will be refunded at the point of purchase.