Former middleweight titlist David Lemieux will take on Glen Tapia in the co-feature on the Canelo Alvarez-Amir Khan card May 7 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Golden Boy Promotions announced Monday as it formally unveiled the three televised bouts will that support the main event.
Lemieux and Tapia will meet in a scheduled 10-round middleweight fight that will immediately precede Alvarez's first middleweight world championship defense against Khan on the HBO PPV card (9 p.m. ET).
Also on the card in scheduled 10-round bouts: Mauricio Herrera will move up to welterweight to face Frankie Gomez and middleweight Patrick Teixeira (26-0, 22 KOs) will face Curtis Stevens (27-5, 20 KOs).
Lemieux (34-3, 31 KOs), 27, of Montreal, has not fought since losing his title by eighth-round knockout to Gennady Golovkin in their October unification bout, but he could loom as a future opponent for Alvarez if they both win.
"I am back," Lemieux said. "I am coming back strong and ready to be on top of the middleweight division where I belong."
Lemieux, however, will be under the microscope because of his weight. He was supposed to fight James de la Rosa at 163 pounds on March 12 in Montreal, but Lemieux badly missed weight -- he was 165.8 -- and the fight was canceled. The fight with Tapia is contracted at 160 pounds, the middleweight limit, according to Golden Boy vice president Eric Gomez.
"I am extremely happy for David to be on such a high-profile card," said Camille Estephan, Lemieux's co-promoter. "David is motivated, now more than ever, to re-conquer his status as a world champion and winning this fight will get him closer to his goal. I am confident David will put on a fight to remember on May 7."
Tapia (23-2, 15 KOs), 26, of Passaic, New Jersey, who was released last week by careerlong promoter Top Rank, has signed with Golden Boy and will be moving up in weight from junior middleweight. He is coming off a one-year layoff, having not fought since a fourth-round knockout loss to Michel Soro on May 8, 2015, but he is a hard puncher with a penchant for being in exciting fights.
"This is a make or break moment," Tapia said. "I can't wait to show everyone what I am made of. People will see a new and improved Glen Tapia and this is the best place to show it -- as part of a stellar undercard. I know David will be a tough opponent, but I am ready for this challenge to take on the best in the division and show the world a fully realized Glen Tapia."
Said Pat Lynch, Tapia's manager: "This is a great opportunity for Glen. He knows he has to be at his best against a warrior like Lemieux. I know he is up for the challenge and will give everyone a great fight to remember."
Longtime junior welterweight contender and former title challenger Herrera will move up to welterweight to face Gomez.
"May 7 is the day I have to slaughter another young lion to prove myself again," said Herrera, who many thought deserved the decision when he challenged then junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia for the title in 2014 but lost a majority decision. "Frankie Gomez is a strong fighter that will bring the absolute best out of me. I will be in tip top shape for the mega-event."
Herrera (22-5, 7 KOs), 35, of Riverside, California, had been penciled in to face slugger Lucas Matthysse, who was also going to move up in weight. But that fight was not finalized because Matthysse elected to take more time to allow his eye to heal after it was injured in a 10th-round knockout loss to Viktor Postol in their vacant world title fight in October.
Matthysse was replaced by Gomez (20-0, 13 KOs), 24, of East Los Angeles, a one-time can't-miss prospect, who has disappointed many despite his unbeaten record. He has regularly missed weight and not been in top condition.
"This is the kind of fight I have been training for my entire career," Gomez said. "Herrera is a recognized and ranked fighter. He has a lot of experience and it's my chance to prove myself and show everyone who has doubted me what I can do in the ring. I feel very excited to be part of a great undercard. Fans can expect an exciting night."
In the pay-per-view opener, Teixeira (26-0, 22 KOs), a 25-year-old southpaw from Brazil, will face former world title challenger Stevens (27-5, 20 KOs), 31, of Brooklyn, New York.
"I am excited to be part of one of the biggest boxing events of the year," Teixeira said. "I promise to go out to the ring fully prepared for the best Curtis Stevens and show that I am a fighter to be feared in the middleweight division. On May 7, fans can expected to see an exciting fight opening the televised event."
Teixeira will be facing by far the most accomplished opponent of his career in Stevens, a television regular who lost a shot at the 160-pound world title by eighth-round knockout to Golovkin in 2011. Stevens is coming off a 12-round decision loss to former titlist Hassan N'Dam in a world title eliminator in October 2014.
"This guy is a zero and has got to go," the always-brash Stevens said. "I'm ready to start climbing up in the rankings again and am happy to be on this great card with my man Canelo Alvarez."
Said Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, Stevens' promoter: "This is a great crossroads matchup for Curtis on a big platform. He needs to deliver on May 7, and I know he will!"
One fight that Golden Boy had hoped to put on the card was the mandatory bout between interim heavyweight titlist Luis Ortiz (25-0, 22 KOs) and Alexander Ustinov (33-1, 24 KOs), which has been ordered to take place on or before June 19. However, according to Golden Boy it was unable to make a deal with Frank Warren, Ustinov's promoter, in time to be on the show.
But Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya said he was very satisfied with the three bouts his team put together, all of which appear as though they will be competitive and entertaining on paper.
"We want to give back to the fans with this undercard and provide thrilling, action-packed bouts leading up to the main event with Canelo Alvarez versus Amir Khan," De La Hoya said. "We appreciate the fans support and wanted to give them the best bang for their buck with these televised undercard fights.
"To watch exciting, competitive undercard bouts leading up to the biggest boxing event so far of 2016 will help to create buzz by the time Canelo and Amir reach the ring and fans pay to feel a part of that electric atmosphere."