Mexico's Juan Francisco Estrada, who held unified flyweight world titles for 3½ years, is leaving the division behind.
The 26-year-old Estrada (33-2, 24 KOs) has not fought since last September, mainly because of a severe right hand injury, but he announced on Tuesday at a news conference that he would return to the ring on Oct. 8 (beIN Sports Espanol) as a junior bantamweight.
Estrada will face Raymond Tabugon (18-5-1, 8 KOs), 25, of the Philippines, in a scheduled 10-round fight at Francisco Leon Garcia Stadium in Puerto Penasco, Mexico.
The WBA announced last week that Estrada vacated its 112-pound title. He also has vacated his WBO version of the belt, according to WBO general secretary Jose Izquierdo II.
"Estrada formally vacated his WBO title on Sept. 13, citing that he could no longer make weight," Izquierdo told ESPN.com.
After losing a highly competitive decision in a slugfest against Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez in a 2012 junior flyweight title fight, Estrada moved up to flyweight and won a split decision against Brian Viloria to claim two flyweight belts in March 2013.
Estrada made five title defenses of the unified title. He beat opponents such as former world titleholders Giovani Segura and Hernan "Tyson" Marquez, as well as top contender Milan Melindo.
Now Estrada will move up to the 115-pound junior bantamweight division, where an eventual rematch with Gonzalez (46-0, 38 KOs) is possible. On Sept. 10, Gonzalez -- the pound-for-pound king and flyweight champion -- moved up to the weight class and outpointed Carlos Cuadras to win a world title in his fourth weight division.
A rematch between Gonzalez and Estrada would be one of the biggest fights that could be made in boxing's smaller weight divisions.
"I will win and analyze with my team and my promoter Zanfer possible fights against Chocolatito, Naoya Inoue and [Luis] 'Nica' Conception," Estrada said. "I'm looking for big fights."