<
>

Warriors Boxing wins purse bid for Richard Commey-Denis Shafikov title eliminator

A pair of world title elimination fights, one in the lightweight division and one at bantamweight, were ironed out this week following IBF purse bids.

On Tuesday, Warriors Boxing bid $61,000 to gain promotional rights to the lightweight eliminator between former world title challengers Richard Commey and Denis Shafikov. Warriors Boxing, bidding on behalf of Russian promoter Ural Boxing Promotions, beat the only other offer of $45,305 by German outfit Sauerland Event, which promotes Commey.

Ural Boxing Promotions plans to stage the fight on Dec. 7 at a location to be determined in Russia, Shafikov's home country.

The winner of Commey-Shafikov will become the mandatory challenger for 135-pound world titleholder Robert Easter Jr. (18-0, 14 KOs), of Toledo, Ohio. Easter suffered a flash knockdown in the eighth round but won the vacant belt by spirited split decision against Commey (24-1, 22 KOs), of Ghana, on Sept. 9 in Reading, Pennsylvania.

Commey and Shafikov is entitled to 60 percent of the winning bid ($36,600), and Shafikov will get the remaining 40 percent ($24,400).

Shafikov's only losses are by decision in lightweight world title bouts. He lost to Miguel Vazquez in 2014 and to Rances Barthelemy in 2015. Shafikov (37-2-1, 20 KOs) bounced back from the loss to Barthelemy to knock out 2012 U.S. Olympian Jamel Herring on July 2 in the main event of a Premier Boxing Champions card on ESPN.

On Thursday, a bantamweight title elimination fight between former flyweight and junior bantamweight titlist Omar Narvaez (46-2-2, 24 KOs), of Argentina, and Puerto Rico's Emmanuel Rodriguez (15-0, 10 KOs) was set when K.O. International won the purse bid with an offer of $126,101. Warriors Boxing, the only other bidder, offered $57,500.

The Narvaez-Rodriguez winner will secure a mandatory shot against world titleholder Lee Haskins (34-3, 14 KOs) of England.

Narvaez will receive 60 percent ($75,661) of the winning bid, and Rodriguez will receive the remaining 40 percent ($50,440). The fight is due to take place within 90 days, or no later than Jan. 27.