<
>

Luis Ortiz fight with Derric Rossy off after 'Real King Kong' injures hand

Heavyweight contender Luis Ortiz, known as "The Real King Kong," suffered a hand injury in training this week and has withdrawn from his fight scheduled for next week.

Ortiz was slated to fight Derric Rossy in a 10-round bout on April 22 on Showtime Extreme on the undercard of the Shawn Porter-Andre Berto welterweight world title elimination bout from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

However, promoter Lou DiBella, who is putting on the card, told ESPN that Ortiz injured his right hand Wednesday.

"We were told he hurt his hand, that he banged it up pretty good and is out of the fight," said DiBella, who is not Ortiz's promoter. "It would have been nice to see him on the show. He's one of the best heavyweights out there. Obviously people would have liked to see him fight, but he got hurt. What can you do?"

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs), 38, a former Cuban amateur standout who defected and fights out of Miami, is a heavy-handed southpaw whom few top opponents have been willing to fight. But he looms as one of the mandatory challengers for the winner of the April 29 fight between world titleholder Anthony Joshua and former champion Wladimir Klitschko.

Ortiz signed last month with adviser Al Haymon, who placed him on the April 22 card in what was supposed to be a stay-busy fight against Rossy (31-12, 15 KOs), a 36-year-old journeyman from Medford, New York, who typically gives opponents a tough fight, win or lose.

With Ortiz injured, the Amanda Serrano-Dahiana Santana fight for a vacant women's bantamweight world title will move up to top the Showtime Extreme portion of the card.

Serrano (31-1-1, 23 KOs), 28, of Brooklyn, a reigning women's junior featherweight world titleholder who has won world titles in four weight classes, is dropping down one weight class to face former featherweight titlist Santana (35-8, 14 KOs), 32, of the Dominican Republic, who is also dropping down in weight.

The new opening fight on Showtime Extreme (7:30 p.m. ET/PT) will be an eight-round junior welterweight match between prospects Jose Miguel Borrego (11-0, 10 KOs), 19, of Mexico, and Jonathan Alonso (12-0, 4 KOs), a 26-year-old New York-based Dominican Republic native.