Lightweight prospect Devin Haney will take a major step up in opposition when he takes on Mason Menard in a 10-round fight on May 11 in the main event of a of a "ShoBox: The New Generation" card at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia.
The fight, which is on a Greg Cohen-promoted card, will air on Showtime beginning at 10 p.m. ET/PT.
Haney (18-0, 12 KOs), 19, of Las Vegas, was a 130-8 as an amateur and was a seven-time national junior amateur champion before turning pro at age 16 in Mexico because he was not yet old enough to box in the United States.
When he was 17, Haney received a special exception from the Nevada State Athletic Commission that allowed him to fight on the undercard of the third Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley bout in Las Vegas.
Now Haney will take on by far the best opponent of his career in Menard (33-2, 24 KOs), whose only loss since 2008 came two fights ago when Raymundo Beltran knocked him out in the seventh round in December 2016; Beltran has since won a lightweight world title.
"The boxing world will see something they've never seen a 19-year-old professional boxer do," Haney said. "I'm intimidating and I know it. I'm thankful to Showtime and Mason Menard for giving me this opportunity. Unfortunately for him, he will get a chance to see firsthand what all the hype is about. I've been sparring with former world champions like Jesse Vargas in preparation for this fight.
"The fact that I'm fighting in the main event is bringing out the best in me. It's my time to show the world what I'm made of and I'm coming to make a statement in this fight. Mason Menard is in trouble."
Haney, who is trained and managed by his father, William Haney, has also sparred with Floyd Mayweather and other former world titleholders such as Shawn Porter and Rances Barthelemy.
Menard has appeared twice previously on "ShoBox" and said he is pleased to be back.
"It's a privilege for me to be able return in a fight on national television again," Menard said. "My all-around game will be different. I have a new team, a repaired shoulder and a different outlook on things. Haney may be undefeated, but he's never faced anyone like me. If everyone expects me to fold against an untested prospect they are in for a big surprise."
After the loss to Beltran, the Los Angeles-based Menard, 29, changed trainers and now works with John Pullman and Buddy McGirt.
Haney was supposed to make his "ShoBox" debut on Feb. 2 against Harmonito Dela Torre, but the fight was canceled because Dela Torre, of the Philippines, could not get a visa in time.