<
>

Injured George Groves out of fight

George Groves of England sustained an undisclosed injury, forcing him to withdraw from a super middleweight world title bout against Robert Stieglitz on Monday.

Groves, the mandatory challenger, was due to face the Russian-born but Germany-based Stieglitz on May 5 in Erfurt, Germany on a card headlined by the cruiserweight rematch between titleholder Marco Huck and interim titlist Ola Afolabi.

"I am sorry to have to announce that I won't be boxing on May 5th. I have picked up an injury in the build up to this fight," Groves said in a statement. "We tried to work through it but soon realized I wouldn't be able to perform the training needed to prepare for this fight."

Groves (14-0, 11 KOs), the British and Commonwealth champion, had been scheduled to face Kenny Anderson in a rematch on March 12 but also withdrew from the bout because of a back injury just as his mandatory fight with Stieglitz (41-2, 23 KOs) was headed to a purse bid. But the sides made a deal and the title fight was scheduled for May 5.

Groves, 24, said he hopes that title shot will be rescheduled quickly.

"After coming back to London immediately and seeking medical advice, I hope that this problem will be sorted soon and will only be a short delay," Groves said. "I am truly sorry to everyone involved who will be affected by this. This is without a doubt the toughest decision I have ever had to make. I am gutted but nothing worth having is given away. It has only made me more determined to achieve my goal of becoming world champion. Thanks to everyone again for their continued support in my journey."