Alexander pounds Purdy for TKO win

Devon Alexander mowed down Lee Purdy on Saturday to (finally) defend his welterweight belt. Al Bello/Getty Images

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Welterweight titlist Devon Alexander gave his fists a good workout on Lee Purdy's face and body, easily dominating until Purdy's corner called off the fight after the seventh round Saturday night in the Lamont Peterson-Lucas Matthysse co-feature at Boardwalk Hall.

Although Alexander (25-1, 14 KOs) retained his title, the fight lost a measure of its significance at Friday's weigh-in when Purdy (20-4-1, 13 KOs) failed to make the 147-pound division limit, weighing 147.8 pounds on his final attempt.

It was the second consecutive 147-pound fight for which Purdy missed weight and he wasn't eligible to win the title. Even if Alexander, who was 146.7 pounds, had lost, he would have kept the belt. Purdy, 25, also had to give up $15,000 of his $150,000 purse, with $7,500 going to the New Jersey commission and $7,500 being added to Alexander's $700,000 purse.

Still, with the victory in hand, it went down as the first defense and fulfilled the mandatory obligation for Alexander, who won the belt in October by decision against Randall Bailey.

Alexander, 26, of St. Louis, had been scheduled three times to face mandatory challenger Kell Brook, Purdy's British countryman, but the fight was called off three times -- once because of an Alexander right biceps injury and twice because Brook was injured, including a month ago when he suffered a stress fracture in his right foot.

Purdy, the former British champion, took the fight on a month's notice and was outclassed, although he probably could have had a year's notice and nothing would have changed.

Alexander took immediate control of the fight. His speed, technique and punch output were so much greater than that of Purdy, who barely threw any punches.

Alexander, a southpaw, stood on the inside and landed lots of clean right hands to the body followed by right uppercuts.

Even though Alexander hurt his left hand -- he said so in the corner to trainer Kevin Cunningham -- and barely used it, he continued to dominate with only his right.

"I hurt my left hand in the first round, actually," Alexander said. "I hit him on top of the head and hurt my hand. But I had to get that out of my mind. I had to fight to win.

"I wanted to impress tonight. My left hand was on point in camp. When I hurt my [right] biceps, that strengthened my left. It would have been popping real hard, but I hurt it, so I had to set it up softly."

Said Cunningham, "I think he would have had a spectacular knockout if he hadn't hurt his hand."

Purdy had taken tremendous punishment, and when he returned to the corner after the seventh, his corner asked referee David Fields to stop the fight.

"I knew this was a big opportunity and that the weight would be a big problem, but to have the opportunity to fight a great fighter like Devon, I couldn't turn it down," Purdy said. "I would have stayed in there until my legs wouldn't work anymore. I'm just devastated."

Next up for Alexander could be a Dec. 7 defense against former junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan, who was ringside to scout Alexander and to watch his younger brother, Haroon Khan, on the undercard.

"If Amir wants it, he can have it," Alexander said. "If Floyd [Mayweather Jr.] wants it, he can have it. I want to fight the best."

Ogogo cruises in American debut

Middleweight Anthony Ogogo (2-0, 1 KO), a 24-year-old 2012 Olympic bronze medalist for Great Britain, rolled to a shutout six-round decision against Edgar Perez of Puerto Rico (5-5, 3 KOs). Ogogo got in solid work against Perez, who took everything but was outclassed. The judges had it 60-54, 60-54 and 60-53 for Ogogo.

"I thoroughly enjoyed my American debut," Ogogo said. "I've had massive support from [Golden Boy CEO] Richard [Schaefer] and Bernard [Hopkins]. Hearing Bernard coaching me from ringside was amazing."

Ogogo was returning to the ring in short order after scoring a spectacular second-round knockout April 27 in England in his pro debut on the Amir Khan-Julio Diaz undercard.

"I needed someone to take me into some rounds," Ogogo said. "It was a great learning experience. There's no point in knocking everyone out."

• Shawn Porter (20-0-1, 14 KOs) of Akron, Ohio, outclassed the game Phil Lo Greco (25-1, 14 KOs) of Toronto for a one-sided 10-round decision win in a battle of unbeaten welterweight prospects, who met at a contract weight of 150 pounds.

Porter -- who had far more speed, technique and quickness -- won going away, 100-88, 100-88 and 99-89. He scored two knockdowns, dropping Lo Greco at the end of the eighth and then again in the 10th round. Porter abused Lo Greco throughout the fight with a steady diet of hard body shots and uppercuts.

"This is my 22nd fight, and you can't have any flaws," Porter said. "All the flaws were taken care of in the first 21, and now it's on to 23."

• Bantamweight Haroon Khan (2-0, 1 KO) dropped Vicente Medellin (0-6) of Riverside, Calif., twice in the first round, both on body shots, to win by knockout in just 57 seconds. Khan, 22, of England, turned pro just last month, winning a four-round decision on brother Amir's April 27 undercard.

• Washington, D.C., light heavyweight Thomas Williams (14-0, 10 KOs) outclassed Otis Griffin (24-13-2, 10 KOs) of Sacramento, Calif., in a hard-hitting but one-sided fight. Williams won 80-72, 79-73 and 79-73.

• Puerto Rican bantamweight Cesar Seda (25-1, 17 KOs) cruised to a unanimous eight-round decision against Miguel Tamayo (13-6-2, 11 KOs) of Mexico, winning by scores of 80-70, 80-72 and 79-73. Seda's only career loss came by unanimous decision in a junior bantamweight world title fight in Argentina against Omar Narvaez in 2011.

• Washington, D.C., lightweight Anthony Peterson (32-1, 21 KOs), the younger brother of main event fighter Lamont Peterson, won by second-round knockout against Dominic Salcido (18-5, 9 KOs) of Rialto, Calif., when referee Allen Huggins stopped the fight after the round on advice from the ringside doctor because Salcido -- who wasn't happy to have the bout stopped -- had suffered a broken nose.

Peterson was fighting for the first time in 17 months and for only the second time since he was disqualified for low blows in the seventh round against Brandon Rios in September 2010. He controlled the two rounds, but there didn't seem to be any particular big punch that broke Salcido's nose.

• Cincinnati bantamweight Rau'Shee Warren (4-0, 2 KO), a three-time U.S. Olympian, hammered Angel Carvajal (2-2, 0 KOs) of Chicago, dropping him five times in a fourth-round knockout win. Warren dropped Carvajal near the end of the first round, twice in the second, again in the third round and then finished him with a picture-perfect right-left-right combination in the fifth round. Carvajal beat the count, but referee Lindsey Page called it off at 2 minutes, 5 seconds.

• Toledo, Ohio, lightweight Robert Easter Jr. (4-0, 4 KOs) blitzed Eduardo Guillen (0-3) of Brownsville, Texas, knocking him out at 1 minute, 30 seconds of the second round. Easter dropped him hard with a left hook in the second round and then dropped him again moments later, after which referee Huggins stopped the fight.

• Lightweight Jamel Herring (3-0, 2 KO), a 2012 U.S. Olympian from Coram, N.Y., opened the show with an easy first-round stoppage of Victor Galindo (1-2, 0 KOs) of Puerto Rico. Herring dropped Galindo twice, and after the second knockdown, Galindo's corner signaled for referee Page to call off the fight, which he did at 2 minutes, 1 second.