Three days after Juan Carlos Sanchez was stripped of his junior bantamweight world title for failing to make weight for a title defense, the IBF on Monday ordered former titleholders Rodrigo Guerrero and Daiki Kameda to meet for the vacant belt.
The IBF sent a letter to the representatives for Guerrero (Ricardo Rizzo) and Kameda (Zanfer Promotions' Sean Gibbons) on Monday ordering the leading contenders in the organization's ratings to fight.
"Be advised that according to the current list of rankings, No. 3 Daiki Kameda and No. 4 Rodrigo Guerrero (are) the two highest ranked contenders in the IBF junior bantamweight division," IBF championship chairman Lindsey Tucker wrote. "In an effort to fill the vacancy, the IBF is ordering that Kameda and Guerrero fight for the vacant title. Negotiations should start immediately and be completed by July 10."
If the sides to not reach an agreement a purse bid will be ordered.
Gibbons told ESPN.com that Guerrero was available and wanted the fight and he indicated that Kameda was also interested in pursuing the bout. Kameda (28-3, 18 KOs), 24, won a flyweight world title in 2010 and made two defenses before vacating it to move up in weight. He challenged for a junior bantamweight belt in 2011, but lost a unanimous decision to Thailand's Tepparith Kokietgym. Since then, Kameda has won six fights in a row, including scoring a sixth-round knockout of Aaron Bobadilla on Saturday in Japan.
Guerrero (19-4-1, 12 KOs), 25, of Mexico, won a vacant junior bantamweight world title via sixth-round technical decision against Raul Martinez in 2011 but lost by unanimous decision to Sanchez in his first defense in February 2012. Guerrero has won three fights in a row since.
Sanchez was due to make a mandatory defense against Roberto Sosa on Saturday night in Las Vegas. The fight went on and Sanchez won a unanimous decision, but only Sosa was eligible to win the title because Sanchez was overweight.
Sanchez had been told at Friday's weigh-in that he had made the 115-pound limit after using nearly all of the allotted two hours to make the weight after missing it initially. However, Sanchez was then told on Saturday morning that IBF supervisor Aaron Kizer had made a mistake by rounding down his final attempt weight of 115.2 pounds to 115 and he was stripped of the title.