Middleweight titleholder "Kid Chocolate" Peter Quillin will make his second defense against former title challenger Gabriel Rosado on Oct. 26, Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com.
Quillin-Rosado will take place at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., and serve as the co-feature on a Showtime-televised card headlined by 48-year-old light heavyweight titleholder Bernard Hopkins (53-6-2, 32 KOs) in a mandatory defense against Karo Murat (25-1-1, 15 KOs) of Germany.
Finalizing Quillin-Rosado was one of the many pieces of business Schaefer worked on late last week while in Las Vegas, where he was promoting the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Saul "Canelo" Alvarez fight. Many of his fighters and their managers were also in town, allowing him to make progress on several cards in the works.
"We got it done," Schaefer said. "I think the fight is in the perfect spot. Peter is from New York, Rosado is from Philadelphia. I try to put fights where they belong and this fight belongs in that location. I'm very happy for the fans from the East Coast that they can see another world title fight on this card.
"Rosado always comes to fight and he's getting another world title opportunity. For Quillin, it's another opportunity to showcase his talents against a good opponent."
Quillin (29-0, 21 KOs), 30, won his title by unanimous decision against Hassan N'Dam in October, scoring six knockdowns in the fight. Quillin made his first title defense in April, a seventh-round knockout of Fernando Guerrero, whom he dropped four times, giving him 10 knockdowns in two world title bouts.
"I'm glad the fight is made, two Americans fighting each other on a channel where all the fights are being made, explosive fights, good fights," Quillin said. "There's so much activity on Showtime and I'm just glad to have my place. I wanted to get in three fights this year, but I'll get in two and I feel good about setting up my 2014. As for Gabe, I got nothing bad to say about him. I got respect for all fighters, but my numbers speak for themself – 29-0 with 21 knockouts in nine years pro. Gabe and I are both fighters and we both have the will, but I'll go in there and win every round."
Rosado (21-6, 13 KOs), 27, emerged as a top 10 junior middleweight contender in 2012 with knockouts in three nationally televised wins against Jesus Soto Karass, Sechew Powell and Charles Whittaker in a title eliminator.
Although Rosado secured a mandatory 154-pound title shot by beating Whittaker, he moved up in weight when the opportunity came to fight middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin in January. Although Rosado showed enormous heart, Golovkin, sick in bed the day before the fight, brutalized him. Golovkin severely cut him and dominated until Rosado's corner threw in the towel in the seventh round.
Rosado returned in May to face unbeaten prospect J'Leon Love on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Robert Guerrero undercard. Love, who got knocked down, was awarded a split decision win in a fight many thought Rosado won. However, after the fight the result was changed to a no contest because Love tested positive for a banned diuretic he used to help him make 160 pounds.
"I thought he won that fight," Quillin said.
As for fans and media viewing his match with Rosado and making the inevitable comparison to how Golovkin performed against him, Quillin said he understood that it comes with the territory. A Golovkin-Quillin unification fight would be one of the most attractive fights in the middleweight division, although it is unlikely to happen as long as Quillin is with Golden Boy and fighting on Showtime and Golovkin is tied to rival HBO, which announced earlier this year that it would no longer televise Golden Boy fighters.
"I know people will view it as a measuring stick, but I'm not going to try to match (Golovkin) or outdo him," Quillin said. "I'm gonna do me. I will stay true to myself. I will work hard to win, that's my main focus. I'm glad to be in there with a guy with a good name.
"I'm gonna go in with the mentality to try to get him out of there. I'm not playing. I signed the contract, we agreed to fight. He will try to beat me, try to knock me out, so I don't have any more respect. My job is to treat him as a stranger or like he stole something from me or he's a little brother and I'm trying to teach him something."
Another fight due to be on the card was super middleweight titlist Sakio Bika (32-5-2, 21 KOs), 34, of Australia, making his first defense against mandatory challenger Anthony Dirrell (26-0, 22 KOs), 28, of Flint, Mich. However, Bika suffered a recent shoulder injury and will not be able to fight.
"Because of the injury, which will prevent Bika from training for a while, the fight will be postponed until the early part of next year," Schaefer said.
Bika won a vacant world title by majority decision in a brutal slugfest with Marco Antonio Periban on June 22. Dirrell fought a month later, knocking out Anthony Hanshaw in the third round on July 27 in his second win of the year.