<
>

Jocks to GIs: Barry Zito

Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 4:20 AM
To: Barry Zito
Subject: Shutout

Barry,

Congrats on your shutout. You guys are playing very well. I go to ESPN.com all the time to check the scores and standings and things like that. You guys are playing great.

I know pitching it tough but just how tough is it? What kind of preperation does a pitcher go through? What kind of mindset are you in when you walk to the pitchers mound at home and there is not a single seat left? What does it feel like?

Well not too much going on here. I bet you watch the news enough to know the war is just about over. What are your thoughts? Do you really think this is what needed to be done?

Well I hope to hear from you soon. Take care and let all the guys know that I wish them all luck.

Dave

Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 8:53 PM
Subject: Statue falls

Barry,

Yes, it's true, nobody loves war. When they brought the statue, all of us here were relieved because it signaled that the war is almost over. We have troops here that have been deployed here for about 200 days. That is a long time to be away from family.

Your team is playing great. Everyone is getting the job done. Keep getting the wins. Good luck on Sun.

Dave

Sent: Sunday, April 9, 2003 9:36 PM
To: David Barrows
Subject: Feelings back home

Hi Dave,

Except for a few ignorent and uninformed actors, everyone supports our men and women in the military...though no one loves a war. We did what needed to be done. And it's coming out more everyday just how much we needed to do this.

I was blown away when I saw the Iraqi's on TV trying to pull down the statue. I really didn't understand it all until then. I think alot of misinformation comes from the biased media. That seems to be changing now. Just know that more people stand behind our military than the handful that don't.

Well, I am at the ballpark in Anaheim and need to get out to the field...we have a 3-games series with the Angels and I'm pitching on Sunday.

Take care and I will talk to you soon.
B

Sent: Monday, April 7, 2003 6:42 AM
Subject: RE: Hi from Barry Zito

Barry,

Everyday I am thanked for serving in the greatest military in the world, but coming from a professional athlete, that made my day.

There are so many celebrities that have spoke against the war, and even when we get a raise, I think to myself "How dare they, I fight for their freedom to say things like that and they take it for granted." I really want to thank you for what you said. It really did make my day.

I really look forward to meeting you also, but I have no idea when I will be home. I hope it is soon so I can see you guys kick some Yankee butt.

Congrats on your first win of the season. I know you and the team will have another great year. Tell the guys I said good luck. Chat with you soon.

Dave

Sent: Sunday, April 6, 2003 10:59 PM
To: David Barrows
Subject: Hi from Barry Zito

Hi Dave,

Sorry I'm late in writing to you. Opening day in Oakland was Tuesday and on Wednesday I pitched.

First, thank you and thanks to all of the amazing men and women in our military. I am in awe of what you do and how brave you are. I was thinking the other day ... While I'm in my baseball uniform and standing on the pitchers mound to go to work -- you are in your uniform going to work in a battlefield to keep us safe and free. Thank you!

I look forward to meeting you soon. Next time the A's play the Yankees in New York, you can bet I'll leave tickets for you to come to the game.

Please stay safe and keep in touch!!

Barry

Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 9:41 PM
Subject: (no subject)

Mr. Zito

I would like to thank you for participating in this program. This is definitely an opportunity of a lifetime.

My name is David Barrows and I am a Staff Seargent in the United States Air Force. I am currently deployed in a classified location. I have been here from about the last week in Feb. I work in Fuels as a Fuels Supervisor. Basically what that means is I supervise the people who put the gas on the jets. I have been in the Air Force for just about 5 years. I plan on making the military a career and retire at an early age.

I am 23 years old and from Rochester, New York. I now reside at McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey. I am an hour away from New York City, so when I go home I can catch a Yankees game when the A's play the Yanks.

I have been an Oakland A's fan all my life. My dream was to play for the A's but I ran into some financial problems which kept me from going to college. I played baseball all my life and had a great chance to go to school, but things just didn't fall my way so I entered the military. To this day, I still regret not going to collage and playing baseball. Oh well, I live a great life in the military now.

Well thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing form you. I wish you and the Oakland A's all the luck this year, and I know it will be a great one.

Dave