<
>

Jocks to GIs: Curt Schilling

Sent: Saturday, April 5, 2003 8:40 AM
To: Curt Schilling
Subject: RE: Hey there

Curt

Well today got kind of messed up for us in the comm squadron. For some reason, they cut our bandwidth in about half on our main satellite shot up to Germany. For now, I am not sure why, but I think it may be to give more bandwidth to the classified network that we have. Right now I can't get to ESPN.com or AZDiamondbacks.com....going to have to get on someone about that!!!

I handle and provide the cryptography (secret codes) for the circuits. That way when the information is is traveling along the line, or on a satellite shot, it is basically scrambled, so if someone were to tap into it, and try to steal it, it would just be a mess (like snow on a TV when there is no broadcast).

My job is normally not one that people want, because you are held very accountable for this material. This is the same material that you hear about people stealing and selling to other countries when they get busted for spying (An old movie, Falcon and the Snowman was based on this stuff).

We have to receive and maintain a Top Secret (TS) security clearance, just to be in my career field, COMSEC is a big reason of that. Even with a TS clearance, we have to be re-investigated every 5 years. You know, even when you've never done anything wrong, those interviews still wrack my brain, and stress me out.

I had to be interviewed for my clearance re-investigation right before I came out here. I sat in a small office with 2 Special Agents from the Defense Investigative Service, one directly in front of me, and one off to the side, where I could just barely make him out from my peripheral vision. I know they do that on purpose.....I was in there for 2 hours, and I swear they had the heat turned up, and didn't even have a bottle of water or something to drink for me.

Now, I've never been in trouble in my life, not even a parking ticket. But they still made me so uncomfortable, probably to see if I was hiding something and would crack.......but I made it through, and here I am clearance and everything........not something I would recommend to most people.....ha-ha

Now, how I became in charge of the Helpdesk is kind of funny. I have an extensive background in computers, networks, System Administration. I only have been in COMSEC for about a year and a half. That leaves about 7 years in networking. I have been very fortunate to get to my first duty station in the Network Management Office.

Well, COMSEC honestly doesn't keep you totally occupied all day every day of the month (don't tell the boss that ha-ha) So when we first got here, I finished up with COMSEC for the day, and saw there was only one person on Helpdesk.

Helpdesk can be a bear! Especially if there is only 1 person, so I decided to pull up a chair and help out. I am the type of person that likes to keep busy all day, make the time go by, and I do like a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. So I started working more and more on the helpdesk, and my supervisors (who are Master Sergeants, 2 pay grades higher than I) made me the "Boss" of the helpdesk NonCommissioned Office In Charge (NCOIC) of the Helpdesk. So, actually I got that position quite quickly.

I didn't even really know many people who deployed with me, because in COMSEC, no one likes to be around us or the office, unless they have to. It's almost like we're taboo.......

But since I've deployed out here, and busted my tail, I have made good friends, and definitely see where my role plays in the war, and everything around here. This deployment has been an eye opener!

But Sir, I can not believe how much rambling I have done, I've gone on and on....so I will end this message.....

I just wanted to kind of give you a better background story of what I do here. I wear 2 hats around here, that are really very different, almost a juggling act of sorts........I guess it's a good thing I'm into magic tricks as well ha-ha!

So, I will sign off for now. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Take care, keep those pitches fast, and the strikes long......retiring 14 in a row....simply amazing!

Keep up the Great work that you do!

Aaron

Sent: Friday, April 4, 2003 10:30 PM
To: Curt Schilling
Subject: RE: Hey there

Curt (You don't mind me calling you that do you?)

Yes, the fighting continues. You know it's like we're not even fighting another government. It's more like we're just fighting a bunch of terrorists. The use of car bombs, suicide bombers. The whole thing with the hospital, and the troops who started to surrender, to pick up weapons and open fire.....it just makes me so mad. Then you see the propaganda from their government officials, just makes me realize how bad that regime needs to be removed. I am proud to be part of this team though. It's just a matter of time before we are victorious, we will win this one! Without a doubt!

So, BK started huh? I bet he was really excited about that. Good for him. I know that, that must be a huge step for him. How different of a transfer is that? Going from pitching 1-2 innings, to starting? That's got to take a toll on the arm.

When are you starting again? Too bad that I can't really get to watch the games here. I'm going to go around the base and see if anyone gets the games here. I miss watching the games. My father in law and I watch you guys anytime you're on TV.

You guys will bounce right back. I have no doubts about that, you have one hell of a team!

I got to talk to my wife and boy today. My son told me he is doing better in baseball, that he's not messing around (you know how 5 year olds can be) He was excited that he got to pitch also. I told him that I had met a new friend that was asking about him. He asked who, and I told him your name, and mentioned the magazine that I have with you on the cover. That blew him away.

Oh, thanks for the compliment on the haircut. I usually wear a flattop, but around here it's hard to find a good barber.....ha-ha....

Well Sir, once again, I need to run and take care of some business.

I will drop you another line again later. Luckily, we should only be in here a half a day. Oh, that's one good thing about being in comm. We have comm lines that run into our live tent (don't tell anybody ha-ha), not everyone on base does. So it's nice to be able to send and receive e-mails right from my tent.

Thanks again, talk to you later

Aaron

Sent: Friday, April 4, 2003 7:53 PM
To: Taylor Aaron SSgt 405 ECS
Subject: Hey there

Saw on the news what looks to be fighting deeper inside Baghdad. A good and bad thing I guess.

Got your pics, nice haircut, reminds me of my dad when he was alive.

Thanks for the emails, I'll post some more later but I'm headed out to catch a movie. We got beat again today, 2-1, IN COORS FIELD! Bk started and pitched fantastic, unfortunately Shaun Chacon was a tad bit better. He had a perfect game through 5 innings. We're struggling right now.

I'll drop you a line later

God Bless

Curt